cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs recommended for you

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
1 of 13

I have been getting these oDesk messages to my private email account - where they (oDesk) recommend jobs that allegedly match my skills. They ask me to act fast as the job has only been posted minutes ago. 

That would be a good idea - if I was in a position to help those clients in any way...

Just now I received 2 in a row: the first job was posted by a client who apparently just joined the platform - to me that is not really urgent. Not until that client has provided a verified payment method. The second one is a translation job German/English to Turkish.

I don't speak Turkish. I do speak German and English - but the client needs a person who also speaks and writes Turkish.

Is there a way to stop this? So far none of the recommendations I received were for jobs I would/could apply for.

Thanks

Community Guru
Corinne L Member Since: Jun 3, 2013
2 of 13

Same thing for me, I've received 4 such recommendations :

1 for a Japanese to English translation, 1 for a Spanish (I think) to English translation, 1 for a native English writer and stating that I must  have a Paypal account to receive payment (isn't that against the rules?), and the last one I received was looking for a healtleader, I don't even what that is !

By the way, I'm an English to French translator and French writer !

Again, an automated process that doesn't work !

Community Guru
Gyan D Member Since: Sep 4, 2014
3 of 13

Same thing here. Received one for "W-8BEN-E form". A what? Google tells me it's a US IRS form. There's nothing in my profile or work history to suggest I'm interested in or fit for this job.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
4 of 13

I haven't had the honour of one of these yet, but there is a feeling of déjà vu here. I have a theory - the Good Fit Robots have been dismantled (apart from a few clones that escaped and keep appearing randomly and sneaking away again; but parts of them have been reconditioned and re-used, and inserted into the new Recommendation Robots. Why could they not just build new robots from scratch - it would be a lot better in the long run.

Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
5 of 13

Dear ODesk,

Please do not recommend any jobs for me.

1) I will not work on 500 forms for $28.

2) I cannot apply for a job that is invite only.

3) I am not a web designer.

I appreciate it but I think I do a pretty good job on my own.

Thanks!

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
6 of 13

Hi Amy,

I just opened a thread with the same topic - I had not seen yours.

Having the same problem and asked them to stop recommending jobs as so far none of them matched my skills in any way!

Ela

Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
7 of 13
Ela, great minds think alike. Smiley Wink
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 13

Hi Ela, Amy and others,

Thank you for sharing your experience with oDesk job recommendations. I'll share it with the Team that is currently working on improving the system.

Also, note that I merged the two threads together for easier reference.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
9 of 13

I've also gotten a few of these, and not a single one matched my current skill focus. A couple were sorta close, but:

Web Development does not = Project Management

Are these recomendations based solely on our selected skills, or our skills and other data on our profiles? IE Overview, Past Jobs, etc.

Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
10 of 13

Me too. Pretty sure I don't live in Mexico, lol. As that was a requirement "Mexico ONLY"

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS