Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs with pre-defined hourly rate

okhorev
Ace Contributor
Oleg K Member Since: Jul 10, 2015
1 of 23

Hello Upwork,

I suggest you to make client to choose preferred hourly rate so freelancers know better to post bid or not.

Regards,

Oleg

kissgabor2030
Community Guru
Gabor K Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
2 of 23

Agreed, much more clear than checking "beginner/intermediate/expert".

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
3 of 23

Absolutely not!! 

When I post a job I do not want it to be defined by a price point. I want to see as many options as possible for people that meet the requiement of the job post.

I've often hire a "newbie" with a low rate who is actually an expert but trying to gain experience. With what you proposed I would never see these people and that would limit me in choices and possible good outcome.

okhorev
Ace Contributor
4 of 23

On fixed price jobs we see budget and don't bid if budget is not what we are looking for.

As you are customer I know you want to see as many options as possible.

But as developer/freelancer - we don't want to spend $2 to bid your project if you are not ready to spend for what we are working.

For developers it will help more than customers will lose.

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
5 of 23

@Oleg K wrote:

On fixed price jobs we see budget and don't bid if budget is not what we are looking for.

As you are customer I know you want to see as many options as possible.

But as developer/freelancer - we don't want to spend $2 to bid your project if you are not ready to spend for what we are working.

For developers it will help more than customers will lose.

If there is not enough information for you to bid correctly on my job then please do not apply and waste your connects.

It is up to you whether or not you spend your connects, not me. It is not my problem. I post my job and if I say I want an expert then you as a freelancer in that category should know your client base well enough for you to make an informed decision on whether or not to apply.

If I say I want someone in North America that means I do not want people from Europe, Asia and Middle East countries applying. Unfortunately few freelancers respect my request and apply and waste their connects.

The more options I have when hiring the more likely I am to stay here as a client.

Take that away from me and there are dozens of other places I can go where my needs are respected. 

okhorev
Ace Contributor
6 of 23

In your case you can set hourly rate to $1-$100 so you will get all bids.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
7 of 23

I have to agree with Jean, and I'm not a client.  I don't want a client looking at my price, I want them looking at my skills and the value I can bring to their project.  Anyway, You can always look at the client's history and get a sense of what they pay.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
okhorev
Ace Contributor
8 of 23

I think over 50% job posts are from new clients who have no history.

Also sometimes clients are ready to spend more sometimes less. Depending on required work. For mobile App for example they are ready to spend $25 per hour. On static site may be $10 per hour. So we need to know still how much they are ready to spend.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
9 of 23

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand why.  I mean, I have my price and it may flucuate a little depending on the scope of the project.  But If a client posts a project and is prepared to spend more money than I charge, I don't raise my rate to that level when I apply, I feel like that is taking advantage of the client.  I also don't drop my rate just to "land" a project.  I know what my value is.  And I may be misunderstanding your point, that has happened before.  lolol

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
okhorev
Ace Contributor
10 of 23

You can just bid on any hourly rate - it is not required option - just client set how much he is ready to spend. If your hourly rate is $15 per hour but client post $25 per hour you still can bid.

But if client set $5 per hour and you don't want to bid - you will see it and will not waste $2.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS