🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Jss and removing feedback
Page options
amymortensen
Community Member

Jss and removing feedback

Hi Everyone,  

I recently had a contract that entered into dispute and I am worried about the JSS update on Sunday and the effects of private feedback.  The public feedback is not terrible, I got 4.something stars and I can live with that.  Upwork also granted me all my hours under hourly protection so I am happy (and thanks Upwork).  But if the private feedback is bad and then the update occurs on Sunday, and that pulls me under 90, do I lose the option to remove it because then I will be out of top-rated status?  I tried asking with the chat people but they didn't seem to understand my question.   I don't want to waste the perk on a 4.something rating that I can live with.  

Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

I'm almost certain you still have access to the removal perk for two weeks. Someone who's 100% certain will surely stop by and confirm. In your shoes, that's what I would do -- wait and see if it really hurts before spending the perk.

One problem with waiting, if I remember correctly, is that if your JSS is taken below 90 for a two-week calculation that will continue to be included in the rolling 16-week calculation of JSS even if the offending feedback is removed.

Will L wrote:

One problem with waiting, if I remember correctly, is that if your JSS is taken below 90 for a two-week calculation that will continue to be included in the rolling 16-week calculation of JSS even if the offending feedback is removed.

Can someone confirm the above ?

Robin H wrote:

Will L wrote:

Can someone confirm the above ?

Sure. If someone drops below 90% and uses the perk, the two weeks between the drop and the next update are below 90% and therefor non-eligible.

This does not matter if you are at 15 or 16 eligible weeks, it does matter if you are at 13 or 14, because you drop to below 13.

petra_r
Community Member

Amy M wrote:

I recently had a contract that entered into dispute and I am worried about the JSS update on Sunday and the effects of private feedback.  The public feedback is not terrible, I got 4.something stars and I can live with that.  Upwork also granted me all my hours under hourly protection so I am happy (and thanks Upwork).  But if the private feedback is bad and then the update occurs on Sunday, and that pulls me under 90, do I lose the option to remove it because then I will be out of top-rated status?  I tried asking with the chat people but they didn't seem to understand my question.   I don't want to waste the perk on a 4.something rating that I can live with.  

You won't use the right to use the perk if you drop below 90% - you have two weeks to use it.

BUT - as Will said, it would deduct 2 weeks from your eligible weeks if you wait until after the update and your JSS does indeed drop below 90%,

But you have a JSS of 96% with a lot of contracts, I would be literally stunned if this went anywhere close to dropping you below 90% - I would hazard a guess of a 1% to 3% drop maximum.

Personally I think it's work waiting to see what happens.

Thanks very much for the replies, that makes it a little clearer. But I am a bit nervous because I also have a contract that has been open 2 or 3 months now with no money, one of those where the client offered me what seemed to be an ongoing thing but then hasn't responded to messages. That problem has been mentioned quite a bit lately in the forum. But I don't want to waste using the perk when it's not really necessary either.  I've never used it yet and I kind of like it that way for now. Although I think the contract with no money hit me last update because I went down from 98 or 97 to 96, I am just worried I am wrong and both will hit this Sunday and I wish the missing client would just let me do something for 10 minutes (I've tried that suggestion but she doesn't respond).  And am I right in assuming the two weeks to use the perk starts from when the contract ends or is it from when I leave feedback and their feedback is visible?  Sorry for all the questions, but it really is a bit complicated and not at all transparent.  Thank you for your help!

Amy M wrote:

Thanks very much for the replies, that makes it a little clearer. But I am a bit nervous because I also have a contract that has been open 2 or 3 months now with no money, one of those where the client offered me what seemed to be an ongoing thing but then hasn't responded to messages. That problem has been mentioned quite a bit lately in the forum.

why don't you just spend 10 minutes with the tracker on (!) writing to the client about their project? That will neutralize the JSS hit.

Amy M wrote:

And am I right in assuming the two weeks to use the perk starts from when the contract ends or is it from when I leave feedback and their feedback is visible? 

No, it starts from when you lose top rated status (which you won't anyway.)

That's a good idea in principle, just billing the time to write and ask. I just feel like that would make her potentially angry as she is MIA and it's been about 3 months.   You are right it would be one way to try to neutralize it.  I feel like we should be forgiven at least one contract from hitting our jss because we don't really know it's considered bad until we get in that situation. I thought as long as no money was exchanged there is no impact or feedback, but I guess that was the old odesk system.   

I went down by just one percentage point on this update so your theorems about the algorithms and everything are right, Petra 🙂  

Amy M wrote:

I feel like we should be forgiven at least one contract from hitting our jss because we don't really know it's considered bad until we get in that situation. I thought as long as no money was exchanged there is no impact or feedback, but I guess that was the old odesk system.   

Yeah, why don't we just give everyone a 100% JSS and be done with it 🙂

If you think about it, a contract that leads to no earnings is NOT (as far as Upwork is concerned) a "successful" contract, is it?

Amy M wrote:

I went down by just one percentage point on this update so your theorems about the algorithms and everything are right, Petra 🙂  

Ha, told you. There was no chance of this doing any real harm, I am glad you did not waste your perk on this.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members