🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Just Got Scammed
Page options
52a8538f
Community Member

Just Got Scammed

I have just joined the platfrom. And this is my first experience. I got scammed.

There was this job offer under editing and proofreading section and after submitting my proposal, a guy named **Edited for Community Guidelines**. messeged me saying he would like to get in touch via WhatsApp. He then explained to me the job detail and said I need to pay $40 for an ID which is mandetory. Soon after I sent him the money via PayPal, I realized that all these things look very fishy and something isn't right. I reported it to PayPal and Upwork, but it was too late.  

I could not get any help from the Upwork bot either. Ah well, that was expected. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Upwork can't help you if you violate the ToS:

1. Communicating outside of upwork before hire. 2. Sending money. 

Go to the job post and flag it. 

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Upwork can't help you if you violate the ToS:

1. Communicating outside of upwork before hire. 2. Sending money. 

Go to the job post and flag it. 

Thanks Martina. I have done that already. 

petra_r
Community Member

Nadia I wrote:

I could not get any help from the Upwork bot either. Ah well, that was expected. 

Indeed. That was expected. Upwork can not protect you when you violate their terms of service by communicating with a prospective client outside the platform.

Maybe try to get PayPal to claw the money bck if you paid Goods & Services.

Before you do anything else on the platform, read the rules and folliw them, then you won't get scammed. NEVER communicate with a client outside the platform until you have been properly hired on Upwork, and keep your wits about you. When something sounds too good to be true, it invariably is, and (obviously) no real client would ever ask you to pay anything. Clients pay freelancers, not the other way around. You need to use your common sense on Upwork just as everywhere else on the Internet!

52a8538f
Community Member

Guilty as charged. I did not read the ToS properly and this was right after I joined the platform. I know it is my mistake that I didn't use my common sense. I reported to PayPal, but they said they cannot do anything either. I guess I learnt my lesson by paying $40, LOL. 

petra_r
Community Member

Nadia I wrote:

I reported to PayPal, but they said they cannot do anything either.

Why, did you pay friends and family? Otherwise you should be able to dispute the payment?

Nadia I wrote: I guess I learnt my lesson by paying $40, LOL. 

To be honest, that was a relatively cheap way to learn... other people lose hundreds or thousands,

52a8538f
Community Member

No, it wasn't under friends and family. I don't know why PayPal said they did not see any unauthorized transaction or suspicious activity! And touché, it was relatively a small price to pay for my stupidity. 

I was also got scammed once with $400

OMG! Did you get your money back?

52a8538f
Community Member

Here is the link to the 'Job' offer:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member

Nadia I wrote:

Here is the link to the 'Job' offer: 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Now let's see what Upwork remove first: The job post or the the link to it....

52a8538f
Community Member

LOL 

52a8538f
Community Member

They edited his name out 🙂 

Nadia I wrote:

They edited his name out 🙂 

That's because scammers never give you their real name, obviously. He probably chose a random name from some innocent person's Linked In profile - that's why you're not allowed to mention people's names (or company names) in the forum.

I see. The link is gone as well. 😛 

petra_r
Community Member

Nadia I wrote:

I see. The link is gone as well. 😛 

In fairness, so is the job post, so someone reacted fast 👍

52a8538f
Community Member

Yeah, thank goodness! But those scammers posted another offer only minutes ago, looking exactly like the old one. 

Nadia I wrote:

Yeah, thank goodness! But those scammers posted another offer only minutes ago, looking exactly like the old one. 

There are lots of scammers - not just one - who all use similar text. But if you see any more suspicious posts, flag them.

So no way it could be the same one?

NikolaS

Hi Nadia,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

Please know that you were not hired for this job and shouldn't provide any work until your client sends you an offer and a contract is created under your My Jobs tab. Please note that any request for free work is not allowed on Upwork, and it is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service.

Please check this post for the freelancer resources and tips for avoiding questionable jobs that we put together to help freelancers make decisions whether to work with a client or not. 

A real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. As other members already mentioned, sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork.

I also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Feel free to check this help article to help you stay safe on Upwork. Feel free to follow up if you have further questions.

~ Nikola
Upwork
52a8538f
Community Member

Thanks Nikola! I have just mentioned above that those scammers posted another 'offer' just like the old one only few minutes ago! I am reading the ToS now, I hope I don't make any stupid mistakes again. Thank you for your help! 

hglewis
Community Member

Hello Nadia,

Welcome to Upwork!

Nadia I wrote:

Thanks Nikola! I have just mentioned above that those scammers posted another 'offer' just like the old one only few minutes ago! I am reading the ToS now, I hope I don't make any stupid mistakes again. Thank you for your help! 

Along with reading Upwork's Terms of Service, their entire Legal Center is here. Here is that link:

Upwork Legal Center

It will take a little time to read through each documentation. However, it will serve you well and protect your business interests moving forward to understand the platform inside and out.

Best of luck to you, and remember, you have to protect yourself, especially as a business owner that provides freelance services to your clients.

52a8538f
Community Member

Thank you! 🙂

Are you sure it was the same scammers? How could they be able to post the same scam post again after you reported it and it was taken down? Maybe it was a differnet scammer who just happened to use the exact same language. But most likley, it was the same scammer and you were able to figure that out because you have a good brain. But glad you have now read and will follow the ToS, as all freelancers should to protect themselves from the huge increase in repeated scam posts which have become the new normal here.  

I am sure that that was posted by the same scammer. It was exactly the same language and everything. On top of it, the name of the person who posted the offer matches exactly with the two people contacted me via WhatsApp. I know it was my mistake that I did not see the red flags I usually pay attention to, so I guess I learned the hard way. Thank you very much for your comment.  

Hello Nadia, first of all I empathize with you because I just got scammed yesterday also. 

Apart from what everyone said already, of course it's important to learn from our mistakes but I dont think it's necessary to be so harsh on ourselves and call ourselves stupid. This scammers can sound very professional and also, if you are in a situation of financial vulnerability, it is expected that you couldn't think straight. At least that's my case. I did everything that was up to me already. Blaming myself won't help.

Take care, I'm sorry this happened to you. I also learned the hard way. 

petra_r
Community Member

Luciana K wrote:

Blaming myself won't help.

There is a difference between blaming yourself and taking responsibility for making poor decisions. Nadia is doing the latter, with a sense of humour.

Luciana K wrote:

I just got scammed yesterday also

What happened?

a_lipsey
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Luciana K wrote:

Blaming myself won't help.

There is a difference between blaming yourself and taking responsibility for making poor decisions. Nadia is doing the latter, with a sense of humour.

Luciana K wrote:

I just got scammed yesterday also

What happened?\

Also, the people who come here to complain that they got scammed tend to want Upwork to cover their losses after they broke TOS and didn't use common sense, instead of taking responsibility for their own poor decisions. No one is really blaming them, but we all have to take responsibility for our own mistakes so we can learn from them. Most people, unlike the OP, refuse to do that, and simply want to go on a tirade blaming Upwork and demanding recompense. 

I am so sorry to hear that. I hope the price you paid wasn't high. 

Thank you Luciana for your kind words. I hope you didn't lose a large amount, I hope your situation gets better soon. Sending you good vibes. 

roberty1y
Community Member

People really need to start reading the ToS. There are only two things you need to know to avoid being scammed. No contact outside Upwork until you're hired (except under very limited conditions) and don't ever pay money to anyone. That's all. 

Well, I understood that, a lot of people wrote the exact same thing before. So, there is no need to be passive aggressive. I admitted that it was 100% my fault, it happened (literally) right after I joined the platform (within 3/4 minutes) and didn't even get the time to read the ToS. The guy contacted me sounded very professional as well. However I realized it soon after I sent him the money. And I am not blaming anyone but me. So you can try being a little polite next time. Just a suggestion. 🙂 

64dd52c9
Community Member

My intention was just to leave a kind message to Nadia, apart from everything that has already been said. I'm not demanding anything from Upwork. And i don't feel  comfortable with sharing what happened. 

By reading the comments I can already expect what is going to be said. 

If I can say just one thing is, people who are going through struggle as depression and money problems, in countries that have political wars are not managing to think with their straight mind. Chaos creates more chaos. I don't expect anyone's sympathy but also don't wish to be attacked for something I had no knowledge before. 

Luciana K wrote:

My intention was just to leave a kind message to Nadia, apart from everything that has already been said. I'm not demanding anything from Upwork. And i don't feel  comfortable with sharing what happened. 

By reading the comments I can already expect what is going to be said. 

If I can say just one thing is, people who are going through struggle as depression and money problems, in countries that have political wars are not managing to think with their straight mind. Chaos creates more chaos. I don't expect anyone's sympathy but also don't wish to be attacked for something I had no knowledge before. 

I hope you don't feel attacked in the forum. The many experienced freelancers discussing this topic are not meaning to attack anybody, just very clearly pointing out how to stay safe on upwork. 

Being stressed and not thinking straight, unfortunately, is exactly what scammers are taking advantage of. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members