🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Just Now got a notification about refund ...
Page options
hridoy-islam
Community Member

Just Now got a notification about refund But I didn't do that

Just now I got an notification You sent a refund of (amount) to (client name). But I didn't do that ., I dont know what happened. That was my hourly work.

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Md. Ridoy I wrote:

Just now I got an notification You sent a refund of (amount) to (client name). But I didn't do that .,

It means your client failed to pay for your hours and they did not qualify for hourly protection, in which case Upwork would have paid you out of their own pocket.

Petra R wrote:

Md. Ridoy I wrote:

Just now I got an notification You sent a refund of (amount) to (client name). But I didn't do that .,

It means your client failed to pay for your hours and they did not qualify for hourly protection, in which case Upwork would have paid you out of their own pocket.

This not the only instance of Upwork's sending a message confusingly claiming that either the contractor or the client "has done" something that was an automated action by Upwork.

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Md. Ridoy I wrote:

This not the only instance of Upwork's sending a message confusingly claiming that either the contractor or the client "has done" something that was an automated action by Upwork.

Totally agree, they can say: We (Upwork) sent a refund of (amount) in your behalf to (client), and this is why: a well-written explanation, concise, clear.

Elba A wrote:

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Md. Ridoy I wrote:

Totally agree, they can say: We (Upwork) sent a refund of (amount) in your behalf to (client), and this is why: a well-written explanation, concise, clear.

Well, the thing is: Nobody is actually sending any refund to the client at all. Not the freelancer, not Upwork.

A refund would indicate that something was originally paid.

Freelancers are repeatedly furious because Upwork leads them to believe that the client got their money back when in reality the client never paid in the first place.

What's wrong with saying so? "Unfortunately, your pending funds had to be canceled, because your client never paid for those hours and they did not qualify for hourly protection because  ....."

Petra R wrote:

Well, the thing is: Nobody is actually sending any refund to the client at all. Not the freelancer, not Upwork.

A refund would indicate that something was originally paid.

Freelancers are repeatedly furious because Upwork leads them to believe that the client got their money back when in reality the client never paid in the first place.

What's wrong with saying so? "Unfortunately, your pending funds had to be canceled, because your client never paid for those hours and they did not qualify for hourly protection because  ....."

In the case of which I have personal knowledge, "the client" (Upwork) initiated a refund of funds held in escrow. (Regardless of the actual location the funds or state of the transaction, the client's payment method had been effectively debited, and would be re-credited unless I disputed "his" request for a refund.) Since the client was incommunicado because of a family crisis, I had no choice but to dispute to get the funds that were due me, meanwhile advising the silent client of what I was doing and why. Also since the client was incommunicado, I "won" the dispute by default. The client and I confirmed that I had acted correctly once he was back online, and we have continued to work together.

Petra R wrote:

Elba A wrote:

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Md. Ridoy I wrote:

I like yours better, why can't we receive proper clean accurate and truthful info? You have to be a fortune teller to understand what really happens.

It would be fine, especially for non-English speakers.
There are expressions that are too confusing, even when translating them.
I vote for them to use a "plain" language, without so many circumlocutions and expressing exactly what they want to say.
So my vote for Elba (softer) and Petra (direct and to the point) 🙂

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Md. Ridoy,

Unfortunately, when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed. 

One of our agents will reach out to you directly via email with more information about your specific account.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
kat303
Community Member

Md. Ridoy I wrote:

Just now I got an notification You sent a refund of (amount) to (client name). But I didn't do that ., I dont know what happened. That was my hourly work.

-------------

If a client doesn't pay you for whatever reason Upwork will pay you out of their own money as long as:

1. You used tracker to record the hours you worked.
  2. Wrote meaningful memos in the screen shots tracker took
  3. Have reasonable keystroke activity

You will NOT get paid for

1. hours that You entered manually 
  2. Hours for screenshots that show nothing
  3. hours for screenshots that show you were doing something else besides working on the clients job (such as playing games, surfing the internet, watching youtube videos, reading and sending personal email
  4. hours that show unusually high or low recorded keystroke activity.

The refund that was send to the client was because those hours and payments fell under the 4 reasons that you will NOT get paid for. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths