cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just an honest opinion about Job Interviews (or the lack of them)

Ace Contributor
Bruno C Member Since: Nov 14, 2014
1 of 4

Hello everyone.

I read about this a while ago, but since there are so many people talking about (the lack of) job interviews, I decided to share my thoughts.

As you may imagine, considering the size of oDesk community, there is a large number of top rated freelancers in any specific set of skills. That being said, it would be unfair to show the same profile on the top lists to every client that makes a search in order to send interview invitations.

From what I read around this forum before, oDesk does (tries to do, at least) some random position movements to make sure everyone is, at some point in time, more visible to the clients that want to hire a freelancer. For example, I wasn't invited to any interview for the last month or so... In the last 2 days I received 5 invitations - and surprise! - all pretty much matching my skills.

Summing up, and even though I understand this will be hard to read for someone fighting to pay the bills - be patient! Just keep looking for jobs that match your skills, apply for the ones that you feel comfortable doing and, eventually, you will be on the spotlight! Smiley Happy

Thank for your time and good projects to you all!

Bruno Correia.

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
2 of 4

I'm glad for you.

But, I must say I'm not sure they are making position movements. Few people are constantly on top of search. I guess they get many invites because I did only when I was closer to first page results.

3 of 4

Hi Vesna.

Of course an official statement from anyone in the development team would be better but, considering my experience so far, my opinion is that they do something about the freelancer positioning.

I wrote on the original topic that I was getting a lot of job interviews, now I am not getting them anymore again. Nothing has changed on my profile, so what could really cause that besides a random position movement? And I'm not complaining, there are, of course, a lot of top rated freelancers doing what I do that did not get invitations when I was getting them - they are problably geting now (and I'm not).

Even in your case, did you do something that bad to disappear from the first pages? Looking at your profile I would say no, so something has to be causing this changes.

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
4 of 4

Only possible cause might be is that I received an invite in the middle of the night. I was sleeping just for three hours before I saw email and wanted to reply but invite was already whitdrawn by the client. Moderator here told me it won't have effect, but I don't think the algorithms are reliable.