🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Just encountered 2 scam
Page options
788bfdf6
Community Member

Just encountered 2 scam

Just a forewarning to my fellow newcomer freelancers. I'm new to the platform and saw these 2 proposals named "simple data entry". As I was new to the platform, it looked interesting and did bidding. Soon enough they come in through Upwork dm and send me their telegram link. At this point, I knew it was getting a little sus, as chatting outside is a violation of Upwork policy. So both of them introduced themselves and their fake company. One used "MarineOne" and the other one used "Sharethrough" and kept on explaining what their companies do. Both of them asked for my CV. I sent them to see how it goes.

788bfdf6_0-1657216319541.png

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

And after that, they sent me this video on Yandex. It was the same video from 2 different supposed people. The first one sent me a random pdf that said 1000$ per project whatever and asked me to pay a refundable 50$. The other one send me 200 screenshots and said 15$ per image to write it in Word. So funny lol.  The drive folder in which the image was had an owner of the name "sharethrough company", it was supposed to marineone company lol.

788bfdf6_2-1657216562295.png
tl, dr: my fellow newcomers, please be aware of such scammers. Their way of scamming you is just getting better and better. If it sounds too good, it probably is a scam.

keyword(for google search): marineone, sharethrough, 200 images

Those companies are probably legit but scammers are using their name.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
renata101
Community Member

Hey Bilguudei,

I'm glad you were able to navigate those so easily and stay out of trouble! I'm sorry to say that you'll encounter a ton of scams with data entry jobs. There are probably more scams in that area than there are actual jobs. In general, you should try to avoid job posts that include Whatsapp, Telegram, and other external contact information.

You can find some good resources for identifying scams here:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

https://community.upwork.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/11652iE61EB1CD6618724E?v=v2

It's a good idea to get to know the what's in the Upwork Legal Center. The "Terms of Use" page is a good place to start. It tells you what clients and freelancers can and can't do on Upwork.
https://www.upwork.com/legal

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
the-right-writer
Community Member

Apparently, you went off-platform to talk to these scammers. It is not a "little sus"; it is a violation of the Upwork TOS and can get you permanently kicked out.

Since you started today, you need to first, correct your tiny profile introduction, and then read the TOS and everything in the forum on scams. There was no reason for you to ever encounter this scam. This is the problem - 99% of the people scammed broke the rules. If you return here complaining of being scammed, I will not have sympathy for you if you violate the rules again.

Thank you for your advice. I just thought it'd be interesting to share how some scammers are trying to scam people, and in what way, etc. I'm not complaining that there are scammers or I got scammed are anything like that but I just wanted to tell new users about these scammers and the current company name they are using. 

Thanks, but Upwork won't allow you to tell other people the company name.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Scam. Thanks for letting us know about it.

renata101
Community Member

Hey Bilguudei,

I'm glad you were able to navigate those so easily and stay out of trouble! I'm sorry to say that you'll encounter a ton of scams with data entry jobs. There are probably more scams in that area than there are actual jobs. In general, you should try to avoid job posts that include Whatsapp, Telegram, and other external contact information.

You can find some good resources for identifying scams here:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

https://community.upwork.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/11652iE61EB1CD6618724E?v=v2

It's a good idea to get to know the what's in the Upwork Legal Center. The "Terms of Use" page is a good place to start. It tells you what clients and freelancers can and can't do on Upwork.
https://www.upwork.com/legal

"I'm sorry to say that you'll encounter a ton of scams with data entry jobs. There are probably more scams in that area than there are actual jobs."

Agreed. And therefore Upwork should monitor/filter those types of jobsmore strigently that they already do to recuce the number of the sams.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Send me a piece of your CV... oh dear. 

To not get scammed, stay on upwork. 

3cd8dd92
Community Member

Hello I just encountered twice today too.. actually I already finished up to 5 images retyped into PDF document... After seeing this posts I had some doubts, and this new one popped up too in Telegram saying the same thing the first one said, they said they were from MarineOne, and the offer were really to good to be true, now I asked one of them to atleast give me a downpayment for the 10 images I retyped...and they said they cannot do that.. and even gave me some proofs of pay outs from their other clients.. and now he's sending me some videos as testimonials and begs me to trust him- now this is getting even more sus... Wow, what a waste of Connect.

cat-weatherup
Community Member

I appreciate that the OP posted this information. I just received one - "kindly DM us on Telegram". Since I know going off platform is against policy, I wasn't going to entertain the idea, but I wanted to search here and see if others had gotten it. Now to look up how to get my connects back, since they went up from ~4 to ~16 per job. It gets expensive having to purchase connects all the time. You'd think $15 a month plus 20% of my earnings would be enough.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members