cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just finished my first job, what to do now?

johang2012
Ace Contributor
Johan G Member Since: Jul 15, 2015
1 of 8

HI Guys!

I have just finished my first job (hourly) what do I do now? Should I mark it as "finished" somewhere? Or is it the client that needs to mark it as "finished" somewhere? If so, my client is also new to UpWork so how does she mark it as "finished"? Or is it a "how to" article somewhere here on UW?

Best Regards / Johan

babzward
Community Guru
Barbara W Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
2 of 8

I know the client is the one to close the contract - but unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge to explain to you how that would be done.

- Barbara Herrera -
st-leipzig
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
3 of 8

With hourly jobs, the work weeks ends Sunday at midnight. Then the freelancer gets a short review period for the work diary, then the client a longer review period. If there are no complaints by the client, the payment process kicks in.

I don't think this can be sped up by the client immediately closing the contract.

I'd just let the client know that I am done, send what needs to be sent (if anything) and wait until the client review period is over. If the client doesn't take any closing actions within a few days, I send my friendly "please close contract so that Upwork knows it ended sucessfully" reminder.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 8

Hi Johan,

If the job is completed you could nicely ask the client to close the contract - if theyy don't know how they want to go to the contract by clicking on it,and then click on "End Contract" - it's quite self explanatory.

Congrats on your first completed contract!

johang2012
Ace Contributor
5 of 8

Thanks for you answer! This has been a ongoing job for a while (around 4 weeks) so I have already been paid for most of the work. I only got one payment left for 25$ because the last 30min was on a Monday so this i still "Pending". Should I wait until I get this last payment before I contact the cliant?

Also after the clien "End contract" is there anything more she needs to do? Like give a review or something?

Best regards / Johan Smiley Happy

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
6 of 8

Ending the contract will automatically take her through the feedback phase Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

johang2012
Ace Contributor
7 of 8

Okay! Thanks!  Smiley Happy

st-leipzig
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
8 of 8

If the client closes the contract, they are automatically asked to leave feedback (and can't close without doing so). And ideally you want to get your client to this point without bugging them too much, so no need to mention feedback or reviews. Again, mentioning that the closing procedure is important to signal to Upwork that all is fine and done, and kind of prompts them to do what you need without stressing too much why you need it.

I guess about now wouldn't be a bad time to get in touch, it's not too early since your last work was on Monday. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS