🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Just how bad is Upwork's bot problem?
Page options
moonraker
Community Member

Just how bad is Upwork's bot problem?

The following job post is clearly not valid. Yet, it has at least 20 proposals.

Who would apply to this? I'm quite confident that some freelancers won't have the wherewithal to avoid posts like this, but I'm more certain that this is probably mostly down to bots.

And having genuine clients bombarded with bot proposals is obviously not a good thing. 

So, just how bad is the problem, and what does Upwork intend to do about it?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

5 REPLIES 5
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

It's either bots or people who have such a limited understanding of English that they think it's a real job post. Probably a combination. Either way, it's a shame (not for this particular "client", but because real clients are probably also getting loads of unsuitable, spammy bids). 

lysis10
Community Member

lol And what's the chances the proposals are ChatGPT and say the same thing with slight variances haha. It's crazy. I want to post a job but don't want to deal with these people either. I'm going to make mine US only to avoid them but I know there will still be some bots and fake US accounts.

sajal36
Community Member

Why you think that if you make job US only than you might not get the ChatGPT proposal. I believe it is more to do people following the approach you mentioned but that can be from anywhere in the world. I got my system face an incident by the code which client wanted to test me but I simply considered it my ignorance rather associating it to specifc to US client.

geri_kol
Community Member

I've been wondering what Upwork's so-called Trust & Safety team has to say about the infestation of bots and scammers on the platform, but it's been awfully quiet lately. The last we heard from them (once per quarter or so for the past year+) was an officious-sounding assurance that they are hard at work at getting the platform rid of scams... 

NikolaS

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. I checked but I was unable to find the hob post you are referring to. Could you please share the job post link so that we can look into this further and take appropriate actions? 

Edited to add. 

I was able to find the job post you mentioned in the screenshot. We will look into this further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths