🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Just in my opinion. The JSS thread is hug...
Page options
katrinabeaver
Community Member

Just in my opinion. The JSS thread is huge and needs to be closed

JSS applies to everyone in the same algorithm. We don't know what all goes in to that algorithm, and we shouldn't know. But it applies to everyone. No one has an issue with the algorithm until it affects them. Then it's bad.  My points go up and down. I'm not questioning the algorithm.  You can only blame the freelancers that begged their client for five stars.  When you bug clients for a five star, you are the problem, you are the reason the JSS come about.  The private feedback protects the client from freelancers who stalk clients for public feedback.  This JSS forum should be closed down because the same algorithm applies to all. 

 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
12 REPLIES 12
tlsanders
Community Member

I think the purpose of that one huge, never-ending thread is to keep the complaints in a context where they're rarely seen and discussion is difficult. Without it, there would be a dozen new threads a week (or more) on the topic. This way, as those happen, mods can quickly make them disappear under the guise of cleaning up and keeping things organized.

lindafoo
Community Member

Well it’s affected me very negatively as I lost my score completely and lost my Top rated status too. I can only assume that it was due to a period of inactivity due to circumstances beyond my control.
petra_r
Community Member


LIN F wrote:
Well it’s affected me very negatively as I lost my score completely and lost my Top rated status too. I can only assume that it was due to a period of inactivity due to circumstances beyond my control.

Once you have 4... 5 contracts with at least 3 different clients in your24 month window you get a new JSS.  Your "period of inactivity" was over 2 years.

lindafoo
Community Member

Fair enough-was just disappointed that when I wanted to pick things up again on Upwork, a prospective client actually pointed out my lack of JSS and awarded the job to someone else because he ‘had to be sure’. I wasn’t even aware of the whole algorithm they’d introduced.


LIN F wrote:
Fair enough-was just disappointed that when I wanted to pick things up again on Upwork, a prospective client actually pointed out my lack of JSS and awarded the job to someone else because he ‘had to be sure’. I wasn’t even aware of the whole algorithm they’d introduced.

Sounds to me  that you dodged a bullet. If a client can't judge criteria other than your JSS, it shows a narrow, uninformed perspective. Lin you'll be OK. Take a few quick gigs (but not at a lower price), which will up your feedback. This is what I did when I decided not to merge my Elance account with my oDesk account.   

All i am saying is the same algothim applies to every freelancer here. I go up and down just the same as everyone else does. The JSS algothim doesnt discrimanate.  It is the same for us all.  Don't blame upwork, blame the freelancers who believe their work is worth five stars. Those freelancers who  tell thier clients I deserve five stars.  I dont deserve five stars every time.  I mean really who does. You cant satisfy everyone. That is part of customer satisfaction.   

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"


Katrina B wrote:

All i am saying is the same algothim applies to every freelancer here. I go up and down just the same as everyone else does. The JSS algothim doesnt discrimanate.  It is the same for us all.  Don't blame upwork, blame the freelancers who believe their work is worth five stars. Those freelancers who  tell thier clients I deserve five stars.  I dont deserve five stars every time.  I mean really who does. You cant satisfy everyone. That is part of customer satisfaction.   


The thing is.... if they close that mammoth thread, the posts won't stop. So instead of them being popped in there, there will be dozens and hundreds of them.

 

The JSS really is no big mystery.

 

Good: Great outcomes with happy clients and money paid.

Good: Long term relationships.

Bad: Not so great outcomes (not great private (mainly) feedback)

Bad: Contracts that didn't lead to any earnings and no or poor feedback.

 

There are 3 windows, 6, 12, 24 months.

 

That actually is just about it. Not rocket science.

I agree/

 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

I also like "my JSS has changed for no reason" (when it went down, obviously) as if the law of cause and effect, while working for all matter in the universe, has been suspended specifically for upwork, just to drive people crazy. 

Katrina,

Yet my jss dropped dynamically. No contracts closed. So i closed my account. Three years later still have all those clients outside of upwork. I left upwork because of being discriminated by upwork. I know congress has open up hearings in to stuff like upwork. So time will tell.

FWIW I wouldn't worry too much, I don't think it will be long before you make it back to the top-rated leaderboard. Frankly, I think a blank looks better then say,  50%. 

 

 

martina_plaschka
Community Member


Katrina B wrote:

JSS applies to everyone in the same algorithm. We don't know what all goes in to that algorithm, and we shouldn't know. But it applies to everyone. No one has an issue with the algorithm until it affects them. Then it's bad.  My points go up and down. I'm not questioning the algorithm.  You can only blame the freelancers that begged their client for five stars.  When you bug clients for a five star, you are the problem, you are the reason the JSS come about.  The private feedback protects the client from freelancers who stalk clients for public feedback.  This JSS forum should be closed down because the same algorithm applies to all. 

 


Yep, it's annoying. Every 2 weeks, without fail, somebody comes up with a new JSS a new paranoia. I like the "somebody manually changed my JSS because I'm special" theory best. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members