🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Just out of high school, have enough experien...
Page options
e1c6a985
Community Member

Just out of high school, have enough experience to start a business?

My best friend made a bold decision! That he would start his life with savings and his parents would allow him to open a grocery store when he was 18,he wants to start an online sales business on **Edited for community guidelines** . I thought he was too impatient, but advised him not to. work, Can anybody give me a more helpful advice? So I can advise him.

1 REPLY 1
a_lipsey
Community Member

Anette A wrote:

My best friend made a bold decision! That he would start his life with savings and his parents would allow him to open a grocery store when he was 18. I thought he was too impatient, but advised him not to. work, Can anybody give me a more helpful advice? So I can advise him.

Anette,

Most of us on Upwork sell services, not products, through Upwork. Perhaps there are some Upworkers with retail experience who might provide some advice. 

Some general advice: of course anyone, at any time, can start a business. Tell your best friend to read up on the basics of running a business, how to understand who his target market/demographic is, and how to market his store to the targeted demographic. 

Personally, I enjoy watching Marcus Lemonis' The Profit, which is all about small businesses, and many of them are small retail shops.  Your friend can learn a lot by researching and reading from credible sources.  Online, check out the organization SCORE, which offers many free resources and tools for small/new businesses to learn and grow. 

Hope this is helpful. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths