Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just seeing what you guys think APPLICATION IN PROGRESS

Douglas D Member Since: Dec 11, 2014
1 of 17

Hi all,

This is my first time posting on the forum. So my situation is this:

I was invited to apply for a position on Monday. I was given instructions on what to include in the application, and I answered that day.

I see that there are a lot of applicants for the position, as it looks like the client (which, according to the reviews, is very reputable) is looking to staff three different full-time shifts.

Of the applicants, I see that there are a certain member total applicants (the overwhelming majority of which were listed as "Contact initiated by client"), and a certain number as "Interviewing".

When a client reaches out to a freelancer and the freelancer accepts he offer to apply. does that mean that the freelancer is considered as "interviewing"? I don't want to harass the company nor the recruiter, I'm just eager because the job seems like something I would love to do.

Thanks!

Doug

Community Leader
André U Member Since: Dec 5, 2013
2 of 17

Hi Douglas,

You are not really applying to the position when a client has already invited you. Instead, you have two options: accept the invitation or not. Once you accept the invitation, you are automatically being interviewed.

Other contractors who were not invited, need to apply first.

Hope this clarifies your question.

Best,

André

3 of 17

Thanks, Andre!

That did indeed clarify. I accepted the invitation and replied and applied. Your answer gave me the clarity and peace of mind I needed. Now, I am just going to wait to see what happens, fingers crossed Smiley Wink

Community Leader
4 of 17

On the landing page on the right hand side you should also be able to see your "active candidacies" and "sent applications". Clicking on "active candidacies" (given there are any) will lead you to the jobs you are being interviewed for.

That's how you can check best I'd say.

5 of 17
Yes, I've got an active candidacy for this job! I think the client is just arranging things for the initial launch for this project, as it is a fairly large client. Again, thank you!
Community Leader
6 of 17

You're welcome! All the best to you!

Large clients usually take their time and want to make sure that everything is prepared, outlined, described, etc. Why do I say usually? I have also experienced clients who have projects worth tens of thousends of dollars. They just posted a project, I applied, was hired within 2h and there was almost no supervision.

It really depends I'd say. Clients such as google for instance are pretty **bleep** strict. Unfortunately I had to declare to keep this secret, but let me tell you that I did not pass their test (not sure why, they did not tell me).

It takes time to evaluate applicants, to interview them, to test them. Maybe it's not just a decision being done by an individual, but by different company branches.

One time I had an interview phase which lasted roughly 3 weeks before I was hired. I was redirected from one manager to another - each having their questions and little tests.

Unfortunately, most clients never really answer. Out of 10 applicants, I usually receive 2 feedbacks (positive/negative). The other 8 never return and do not even close the project. Since you were invited, you should normally have better chances.

How many other applicants are there? Maybe you could link the job posting?

Best,

André

7 of 17
Hi Andre,
Man, that sounds like a lot of craziness you have endured! I would link the post, but I thought that was a violation of the TOS of the discussion board?

The posting lists 244 applicants and 51 are "interviewing". I don't know if the company had reached out to any of them (from what you explained, I presume I'm one of them) apart from the initial contact like the one I received. It is a long-term, full-time position, so maybe this explains the wait?
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
8 of 17

Hi Douglas, and welcome to oDesk. Please don't put all your eggs in one basket and get too excited about this offer...keep applying to as many as you can. It takes time at the start and you may have to apply to many jobs before you get your foot in the door - that's par for the course. Once you get a first job and do it impeccably to ensure good feedback, then it gets easier from there on in. But in the measntime you can't afford to sit around and wait for someoine to get back to you - keep applying for any job that you know you can do to a five-star standard. Good luck and hang on in there.

Disclaimer ***not a guru of any sort, just a bloke who posts a lot on the forum, and in no way associated with oDesk management, despite any title they may give me***

9 of 17

Hi Steven,

Wise words. It's always dangerous to put all your eggs in one basket, regadless of how pretty that basket may be! I am pretty patient but of course not sitting on my hands. Persistence is key to everything, here and in life in general Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
10 of 17

Hi Douglas. Welcome.

All the best with finding a contract.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS