🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Just want to check in on my client
Page options
rajatdau
Community Member

Just want to check in on my client

***This post does not require anymore  replies, as the community is not really helpful here. As a product, Upwork, puts food on my table and I am going to keep it clean from atleast my end. If you are hired to do a job, do the job. If client hires you and keeps you on the pause, no benefit at all, primarily for professional growth and business growth.*****

Hello Team,

I have a reason to believe that one of the clients seems strange to me. 

He does not reply so often and when he does, that is my usual sleep time. Also, I believe he hired me to work with him in his agency, but I am not sure he has an agency and any project where I can work and use my full potential. 

He is not able to assign me any long term or even short term work to use my skills. First he fires me and Then I asked why, hired me back. 

I really didn't want accept again but as my clientele is really low and I am aggressively looking for work and spending more time on Upwork to get it done.

Now, what I need is, a help from Upwork and Upwork Community, to get out this thing or any other way to handle it, as I am worried my JSS will get hurt If I would fire him.

My JSS already got low -8 points and Upwork is still in conversation with me on email regarding the same.

What I am looking for is, an advice. Please share your thoughts.

I intend to make Upwork a better place for Freelancers and Clients.
14 REPLIES 14
pudingstudio
Community Member

Rajat J wrote:

Hello Team,

I have a reason to believe that one of the clients seems strange to me. 

He does not reply so often and when he does, that is my usual sleep time. Also, I believe he hired me to work with him in his agency, but I am not sure he has an agency and any project where I can work and use my full potential. 

He is not able to assign me any long term or even short term work to use my skills. First he fires me and Then I asked why, hired me back. 

I really didn't want accept again but as my clientele is really low and I am aggressively looking for work and spending more time on Upwork to get it done.

Now, what I need is, a help from Upwork and Upwork Community, to get out this thing or any other way to handle it, as I am worried my JSS will get hurt If I would fire him.

My JSS already got low -8 points and Upwork is still in conversation with me on email regarding the same.

What I am looking for is, an advice. Please share your thoughts.

You are not firing your client, nor they can fire you. You don't work for them, they aren't your boss, you are.
You know this, you're not a newcomer. Your post kinda sounds like you are, though.

No one cares about time zones, UNLESS it's a part of the job scope.
Most of my clients don't share my time zone, yet we communicate easily. My clients are interested in work to be completed.

Your whole story doesn't sound as if you work with your client? You have accepted a job, job was canceled, you got another offer. Yet, no work happened?

What is the offer you wanted to work on?

kkears
Community Member

To clarify, are you in the middle of an active contract with this client?

rajatdau
Community Member

Yes.

the-right-writer
Community Member

You need to provide more information if you want accurate information. Do you have a contract with the client and have you been working with them? Have you received any money on the contract? Is it still active? Did you complete the first job? Did you take the second job?

A freelancer does not "check in on" a client.

If a client wants a freelancer's services, the client will contact the freelancer and pay the freelancer to do something.

If you haven't heard from a client for a while. That is fine. He knows where to find you.

You are sounding like a professional. This statement is just a client-pleaser. Also, why a freelancer cannot "check in on" a client?

Why do you want to check up on them?  And what's going on with your published rate of $107 per hr, but you have only worked $5-10-15 per hour jobs?

This price I have recently update.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

You should have left the client alone when he first "fired" you (which is better known as "ending the contract" and is a normal part of freelancing). It sounds like he only rehired you because your feelings were hurt. If he has no work, then he has no work, and there's no use sending him more messages. Just leave this client alone and look for other clients; having an open contract isn't hurting you.

Also, getting messages while you're asleep is something that happens when you work with people in different time zones. You can't expect clients to adhere to your schedule. Just tell them what your working hours are, so they'll know when to expect a response from you.

You might be right. But, here you are wrong. 

ba5b99c6
Community Member

okay

It is inappropriate for a freelancer to "check in on" a client.

A man went to a donut store and bought a donut on Monday morning.

He returned on Tuesday and Wednesday and bought one donut each day.

On Thursday, the man did not go to the donut store.

On Friday morning, he didn't go either.

The owner of the donut store went to the customer's store to check in on him.

This was inappropriate behavior on the part of the donut store owner.

I am not selling or buying donuts. I got your point, but it doesn't mean, you will blindly serve the donut to a person, who is feeding it to a dog. 

No one will add it to their resume or profile, that this client hired me but he didn't give me any work. No one will believe you. Which is why, you need to take responsibility what your client does after hiring you? If they are not using you wisely for the work they were supposed to, you need to talk and when they do not respond, you should reach out to them and if, still you don't get any response, you reach out to community, and then in the community you meet people like you. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members