cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KInd of An Odd Little Back-and-Forth Here...

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
1 of 7

So, hmmm. Granted I'm still new. Perhaps this is all 100% kosher. I prefer to trust my clients. I have only been with Upwork for three weeks but have found two so far (one ongoing/current) who are a joy to work for so at this point I'm happy.

But I received my very first non-overtly-spam approach for an interview and I'm just wondering whether this is all normal. (I've gotten a few already that were obviously not legit....you know, Google Hangout/send us a "free" 500-word sample types.)

I was approached by a brand-new individual (no history on UW yet), whom I did not contact (so s/he cold approached me via a search), to interview for a copywriting position. There was a very basic paragraph stating "technical and business" articles would be needed. I wouldn't have approached this company myself simply because I have not done technical articles. I've written hundreds of articles in my time but tech articles would be something new for me. But since s/he approached me (I'll say she as it was a woman who ultimately followed up) I thought...why not? I sent a few examples of the types of articles I've done, along with a brief cover letter thanking her for approaching me and offering to submit more examples of my published writing or answer any questions.

So the response was that she, under a man's name (could have been her boss, I figured), asked me to add her to her (his) Skype for an "interview."

I did so and responded to confirm. My response was brief, pleasant and welcomed her to let me know a good time/day to talk.

She responded as if I hadn't sent her any information at all. She requested writing samples (??? I sent her five 500-1000 word articles in different genres published in different online and print media), ignored the whole Skype thing which she herself had asked for, asked for a copy of my "diploma" (college...I guess?), and said if she still isn't convinced she may need to give me a "short test."

So I politely responded that I would send more samples, asked whether she'd received my first ones, and attached my resume. I told her I'd be glad to perform a paid test/example writing piece for her and told her my rate. I also suggested very politely that she should be blown away by a writer's already-published and publicly available articles before hiring so that she ultimately receives the best, most satisfying job. In other words (the silent sub-text here): If someone has already sent you thousands of words, a "short" sample ISN'T going to convince you where those have not.

But really what I'm wondering is whether she's angling for a "short" *free* "sample/test".

I don't know...is this weird? I know nobody is perfect and who knows, maybe she got me confused with someone else, didn't read up our message thread to see that I'd already submitted examples and all my information or that she asked to Skype, etc. Just wanted to hear from the wise community here. Smiley Happy

Thanks! Sorry this was such a gigantic wall of test.

Ace Contributor
2 of 7

Oh! Let me add - rather than re-edit - that what made me think "Huh?" was that this individual started with "We would like to hire you to write these articles," then went along to say she needed examples of my writing (again, I'd already sent these) and that she might need this little "test." So...I don't know. That just seemed odd.

Again, nobody's perfect, and she may just not be stating things the way a writer would...this is one of the reasons poeple hire writers in the first place (not always but often)...but yeah. I just wondered. That seemed strange.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 7
I think you are overthinking things and yes she was probably trying to get free work.

Was it cyber security? There is a gig for something similar and I wonder if this is a freelancer trying to get that job’s work for free.
Ace Contributor
4 of 7

Jennifer M wrote:
I think you are overthinking things and yes she was probably trying to get free work.

Was it cyber security? There is a gig for something similar and I wonder if this is a freelancer trying to get that job’s work for free.

Hi there, Jennifer. I don't know whether it's cyber security. I have asked twice (in my responses) what types of articles she is specifically looking for but she has not answered. The original posting said "technical and buisness" articles.

If she responds and says it's cyber security, I'll let you know.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 7
Ah ok I was just curious then yeah likely a dude md looking to scam people.
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
6 of 7

Melanie, Yes the conversation does sound a bit odd, but you did what you were supposed to do. You sent her samples of your writting style. and when she wanted another short "test/sample" you have her the right response by saying you would be happy to do that as a paid test/sample. And that's all you can do. Stick to your responses.

If she responds and hires you, great. (and make sure everything is detailed and in order before you begin (account verified and for fixed rate jobs, escrow FULLY Funded)  You did everything, and the ball is in her court. Just wait now and see what happens. IMO you shouldn't contact her anymore, it'll be her job to contact you and at this point the contact would be to hire you NOT to ask for more samples.

Ace Contributor
7 of 7

Thanks, Kathy. No, I haven't approached her since. She did all the approaching and I haven't sent any DMs to follow up or anything. In the meantime I am being kept busy with my ongoing job. Thanks again very much for the input and advice.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
User Accepted Solutions Count
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS