🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Keep adding milestones or create a new contra...
Page options
elizabethjahns
Community Member

Keep adding milestones or create a new contract?

I'm extremely new to Upwork, so thank you for your patience with me and for your help! I began a contract with a client that was for 1 blog post for $15. After I submitted it, he said he was pleased with the work and that he would have more coming for me. He messaged a couple of days later and asked if I could take another blog post for another one of his own clients for another $15. I said yes, so he added that as a milestone to the still open contract. I submitted that, and then he messaged me a few days later asking if I could take two more posts for a different one of his clients for $15 each. He added those as milestones to the still open contract, as well.

My question is: is this normal? I have my account set so that I get paid monthly, but will these project payments count toward my monthly withdrawal if the contract is still open? Should I ask him to open and close a new contract every time, since they are technically different projects? (A screenshot of the contract is attached.)

I hope that all made sense. Thank you again for your help!

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

Add new milestones to an existing contract?

Create new contracts for each task?

Both are "normal" and acceptable.

Both cost the client the exact same amount of money.

There are many advantages to me, as a freelancer, to creating new contracts.

I build up more of a work history, and I get positive feedback. And I avoid accumulating all my earnings in one big contract that could go south at the end...

So personally I tend to use single-milestone contracts, even with a project that has many separate milestones. But ultimately it is up to you.

Thanks! So, if the contract is still open, then the money is tied up in the contract, correct? For example: I have $60 built up with this client who keeps adding milestones. But from other assignments, let's say I have $100 total. I have Upwork set to direct deposit into my account monthly. For my next monthly payment, will that $60 be a part of what is direct deposited into my account, or will it just remain on the website because the contract isn't yet complete?

Every time you submit work and press the "'release funds"  on a funded milestone, the client has 14 days to either ask for amendments, or to pay you, or to wait 14 days, when Upwork automatically releases the funds into your Upwork account (if the client hasn't already done so). After this, the funds are held for about five more days before they can be withdrawn. So there is always a +/ - wait time before you can withdraw funds.  

Monthly payments to your bank are only made insofar as you have available funds in your Upwork account. If you go to "Overview" in the "Reports" dropdown menu, you will see the chronological distribution of your payments - shown as "Work in progress", "In review", "Pending", and "Available". 

Elizabeth J wrote:

Thanks! So, if the contract is still open, then the money is tied up in the contract, correct? For example: I have $60 built up with this client who keeps adding milestones. But from other assignments, let's say I have $100 total. I have Upwork set to direct deposit into my account monthly. For my next monthly payment, will that $60 be a part of what is direct deposited into my account, or will it just remain on the website because the contract isn't yet complete?

Payment for a milestone goes into your account when the client proactively approves payment or 14 days after you request payment, whichever comes first. It goes into 'pending' for five days and then becomes available for you to withdraw or for your next scheduled payment. I have my automatic payment set to occur weekly. You get paid on that schedule regardless of whether the relevant contract has been closed yet or not.

Only closed contracts count toward your job history and it would be great if you could get maximum benefit from this happy client who keeps giving you assignments. I would consider asking him to close the contract and open a new one for additional work--in the interest of helping you get a track record going. He can rehire you with one click, I believe. There is no need to mention feedback; he'll be required to leave it as part of the process. (It would be unprofessional to mention fb. That probably goes without saying for you, but you'd be surprised how many FLs need guidance in that respect.) 

Additional unsolicited advice: While you're just starting out, be more picky about clients & projects than you'll ever be again. When you still only have a few, each one weighs a lot, so be sure you only take perfect-fit assignments and knock every one out of the park. That's the way to build a solid, durable track record that can withstand the inevitable, occasional sideways mishap without tanking your JSS.

Good luck!

Hi, Phyllis.  I'm curious about why feel that mentioning feedback with clients is unprofessional.  I agree that it could be unprofessional, depending on how one approaches it.  But if your client is new to Upwork, I don't see why there's anything wrong with a little nudge stating how crucial feedback is for freelancers on Upwork is.

A recent client closed the 1st of 4 milestone without funding and initiating the 2nd.  So I sent her a kind message explaining that what usually happens is when one is closed, the next is funded and initiated.  She didn't know.  She's new to the platform and is trying to run her business.

But I could wrong on this.  I'd appreciate your point of view.

Thanks!

This might not be relevant to the dicussion here but can you guide me on this ? Upwork deducts 20% of the payment but once it exceeds $500 it deducts 10%. I am new to upwork and i have got a client. He has been adding milestones in the contract and has not ended the contract. i want feedback for my accont so i asked him for it and he agreed. Now, if he ends the contract and give me work in a new contract, would that be added up to the total i have earned from this client? Or the new contract will be started all over again? please guide

Hi  Sundus,

Freelancers are charged a sliding fee based on their lifetime billings with each client (across all contracts they've ever had with that client's company). Service fees are the same whether the contracts are hourly or fixed-price. If a client hires you through the same company account, the fee will remain reduced. To learn more about our freelancer's fees check out this help article.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
tlsanders
Community Member

Elizabeth, I have contracts that have been going on for months to years with the client adding new milestones as we go. There's no problem with that and it doesn't affect how you get paid at all, as others have explained. I do want to add, though, that since you are "extremely new" it may be in your best interest at some point before too long to ask the client to close the new contract and open a new one for a couple of reasons. One is that you need to build up some ratings in the beginning. The other is that sometimes unforeseeable things happen with long-term contracts that are going along fine. For instance, I once had a contract for 10 months with zero problems and thousands of dollars in earnings, and then the person who hired me was abruptly fired. In that situation, you can end up being rated for that whole long-term contract by someone who has never worked with you.

jackburtonmusic
Community Member

I had the same issue and was so glad to find this thread. Thanks for the great info, y'all!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members