🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Keeping a job open
Page options
animationdog
Community Member

Keeping a job open

Hi,

A client that I have just finished up a job for wants to keep the job open to continue working together.  This is GREAT of course! My question is…...Is this ok to do? Does it effect my rating in a negative way? Or is it better to start it as a new job?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jason D wrote:

Thanks.

I should add that it is a fixed-price contract. I just heard from UpWork support, they suggested in the case of a fixed-price contract, it is best to close the job "so it will not count against your JSS."

Provided money was paid under the contract (VERY important) and there are no funds left in Escrow you can (from a JSS point of view)  leave it open or close it - it makes no difference.

I would still tell the client you'd love to work with them again, but it would be tidier to close the current contract - they can rehire you at a click of a mouse when they have more work to do.

The reasons that would make that a preferable option from your point of view have nothing to do with the JSS, and are:

1. You get feedback

2. You don't accumulate inactive contracts

3. you don't look busier than you are to other clients

4. (and this has to do with JSS) - with so few jobs completed (and only 3 in your JSS calculation windows) and a JSS of 89% one great outcome would probably easily push you across that all important 90% line so in your personal case I would actually strongly suggest that you DO ask the client to end the contract if you can, because that is very strongly in your interest.

The other thing that isn't clear is **when** the client wants to continue to work with you.  Did you tell Upwork Support that the client wants to leave it open to work with you again in (for example) a few months time?

Because that needs to be clarified. If the client just wants to keep going straight away or in the nearish (few weeks rather than a few months) future, then any mention of any effect on your JSS would be completely inappropriate without knowing what "continue to work" actually means.

There is no earthly reason to close a job that is completed but the client wants to keep going by just adding additional milestones. There are only reasons for doing so if there will be a significant gap between now and the work continuing.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lysis10
Community Member

I do it all the time. I have some clients that show up every few months so I just leave it open. I will leave it open for months unless I'm pretty sure the client is done or maybe if I didn't like working with them anyway.

Thanks.

I should add that it is a fixed-price contract. I just heard from UpWork support, they suggested in the case of a fixed-price contract, it is best to close the job "so it will not count against your JSS."

Jason D wrote:

Thanks.

Provided money was paid under the contract (VERY important) and there are no funds left in Escrow you can (from a JSS point of view)  leave it open or close it - it makes no difference.

I would still tell the client you'd love to work with them again, but it would be tidier to close the current contract - they can rehire you at a click of a mouse when they have more work to do.

The reasons that would make that a preferable option from your point of view have nothing to do with the JSS, and are:

1. You get feedback

2. You don't accumulate inactive contracts

3. you don't look busier than you are to other clients

4. (and this has to do with JSS) - with so few jobs completed (and only 3 in your JSS calculation windows) and a JSS of 89% one great outcome would probably easily push you across that all important 90% line so in your personal case I would actually strongly suggest that you DO ask the client to end the contract if you can, because that is very strongly in your interest.

The other thing that isn't clear is **when** the client wants to continue to work with you.  Did you tell Upwork Support that the client wants to leave it open to work with you again in (for example) a few months time?

Because that needs to be clarified. If the client just wants to keep going straight away or in the nearish (few weeks rather than a few months) future, then any mention of any effect on your JSS would be completely inappropriate without knowing what "continue to work" actually means.

There is no earthly reason to close a job that is completed but the client wants to keep going by just adding additional milestones. There are only reasons for doing so if there will be a significant gap between now and the work continuing.

Thanks!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths