🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: LEGIT OR SCAMMER CLIENT?
Page options
21289b27
Community Member

LEGIT OR SCAMMER CLIENT?

Hi I am new to upwork. I just would like to ask about security and privacy. Is a client legit or a scammer if he/she asks me to communicate with him/her through telegram? 
Hoping to get helpful replies. Thank you. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
80560af3
Community Member

Hi,

The client is a scammer. Never share your personal information in the Upwork message box with any clients and never communicate with the client outside of Upwork. It is a violation of Upwork guidelines or TOS. There is a phone request button in the Upwork message box, if you or the client want to talk directly, either party can request a call in the message box. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
deardipu
Community Member

Alena, 

That client is a scammer. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

It's against the terms of service to exchange contact information with a client before you agreed on a contract, regardless of whether you think that they're legit or not. Don't give out any contact information, don't send copies of your passport or any other I.D., don't do any work until you have an Upwork contract, and you won't have to worry about your security and privacy.

deborah-ponzio
Community Member

Even legit clients can naively ask to communicate outside of the platform before a contract is started, my reply is invariably that this is not allowed by Upwork's TOS and, before a contract is started, we need to remain in Upwork or I would risk the suspension of my account. Those who disappear are the scammers.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Alena G., You can include in your proposals or in your reply to such potential clients something like the following...

"During our pre-contract communication Upwork requires that we only use Upwork’s own version of Zoom, rather than WhatsApp, Zoom, Hangouts, etc., to talk through the specifics of what you need and to discuss any questions you and I have for one another:

On-platform Interviews – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

After that call I can start work on this (immediately OR as soon as Upwork confirms your payment method). We can then use any method of communication you prefer."

80560af3
Community Member

Hi,

The client is a scammer. Never share your personal information in the Upwork message box with any clients and never communicate with the client outside of Upwork. It is a violation of Upwork guidelines or TOS. There is a phone request button in the Upwork message box, if you or the client want to talk directly, either party can request a call in the message box. 

21289b27
Community Member

Thank you all for your kind responses. I'm new to this and usually get scammed by other freelacing sites, so I decided to seek help. God bless you all. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members