🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Landing my first gig...3 months 100 propo...
Page options
cthinkgroup
Community Member

Landing my first gig...3 months 100 proposals, no dice

I'm about to give up on this website. I've spent moeny (on increasing credits) and have submitted, what feels like a million proposals. and have gotten no where...well maybe 5% callback on proposals. If I don't submit for one week, I get locked into private and it takes 3 days to get out. Feels like I'm being pressured to pay more to get a better chance. (If that is so I can swing a month of premium service)

I'm tired and frustrated. I've built a small book of business outside of Upwork (not from Upwork people) but from local contacts. Is there anyway I leverage that to make this work here? 

I want to believe this site works, but it seems like no one wants to give someone a shot unles they are: 1. At a Cheap per hour rate 2. Already established on Upwork 3. Some random variable I have nor idea about. 

Any advice would be helpful. Once I'm out of credits and/or 6 months of no work, I believe that is enough expereince to make a final decision.

6 REPLIES 6
a_lipsey
Community Member

Joshua M wrote:

I'm about to give up on this website. I've spent moeny (on increasing credits) and have submitted, what feels like a million proposals. and have gotten no where...well maybe 5% callback on proposals. If I don't submit for one week, I get locked into private and it takes 3 days to get out. Feels like I'm being pressured to pay more to get a better chance. (If that is so I can swing a month of premium service)

I'm tired and frustrated. I've built a small book of business outside of Upwork (not from Upwork people) but from local contacts. Is there anyway I leverage that to make this work here? 

I want to believe this site works, but it seems like no one wants to give someone a shot unles they are: 1. At a Cheap per hour rate 2. Already established on Upwork 3. Some random variable I have nor idea about. 

Any advice would be helpful. Once I'm out of credits and/or 6 months of no work, I believe that is enough eexpereince to share my experience. 

I would focus on growing your business from local contacts and not bother with Upwork. It sounds like networking locally is more successful for you. Why keep beating a dead horse? If Upwork doesn't work for you, then let it go. No shame in that. Focus your efforts on where your clients are coming from. 

Amanda,

Thank you for your insight. I'm concerend the local market is limited (Eugene area is small) and I want to leverage into working in other communities. I'll do a little more research and see if the pay to play works out for others.

tlbp
Community Member

Have you looked at how many freelancers offer SEO services on Upwork? I don't recommend the platform for anyone who is trying it out now for the first time. The market is saturated and you have to pay to play. If you gave it a try and got a few gigs, then I could see continuing. But, I wouldn't keep spending $ on a lead gen method that wasn't working. 

cthinkgroup
Community Member

Tonya,

What is a reasonable pay to play budget? It seems like an age old solution to the question of "why isn't this working?"...you have to increase your budget. Given the value of the work and average contract I don't mind a modest cost to aquire new clients. I guess I'm trying to work my way up to the right threshold.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

It may be a little late now, but you need to have portfolio pieces. Picture a client clicking on your profile and checking you out. They want to see something shiny and colorful to play with. It's human nature. You need to grab his attention. Keep him busy for a few seconds, and hey presto! he is engaged. (I should not have to explain this to you considering the business you're in...plus, on the less emotional side, they might want to see prior work as proof of your skills, or might think you didn't take the time and effort.)

Martina,

I've always stuggled with presenting myself in the best light. When it comes to marketing I prefer the backend of the house, focusing on data/insights/strategy. Making things look pretty and engaging comes at a real struggle. Big reason I'm looking to work with agencies and website that take some of that burden off me. 

As for the portfolio work, I don't have anyhting recent. I gave away some contracts that I'm currnetly working on and have 1 new paid client. These projects will wrap up in a month or two, and then I'll have some recent work.

Maybe I can put together a video at the least to show me and how I work? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths