cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Language test

Ace Contributor
Elena Cristina R Member Since: Aug 6, 2018
1 of 7

Hello! A client asked me to take a language test, practically to answer some basic grammar questions, a self-presentation, to describe a place by my choice (this kind of requests). Is this allowed by Upwork? Thank you!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 7

Cristina:

Clients are not allowed to ask freelancers to work for free.

But it doesn't sound like this client is doing that. The client sounds like he may just want to verify your language ability.

If the client's request aren't too extensive... If they take only a few minutes, I would say it is okay.

But be protective of your time. Don't get tricked by a client who is asking you to take a language test but it's actually a trick to do homework, or take a school test, or do work that the client is selling to other people.

Ace Contributor
Elena Cristina R Member Since: Aug 6, 2018
3 of 7

Thank you for the response!

It is a short test, and there is no way to be homework or smth like that. Also, the client spent a lot of money on Upwork. I wanted to be sure it is OK to be tested. 

Thank you once again!

Community Guru
Yeasir A Member Since: May 16, 2017
4 of 7

Elena, 

I think you should take the test as it seems like the client wants to be assured regarding your language proficiency.

Ace Contributor
Amrin S Member Since: Jun 23, 2018
5 of 7
I agree with Yeasir.
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 7

He sounds like a serious client.

Scammers typically make it a point to never pay anything. Scammers don't "pay a lot of money" on Upwork. Only real clients do that.

Community Guru
Yeasir A Member Since: May 16, 2017
7 of 7
Right, Preston.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS