Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last client using profile to continue false accusations

Community Leader
ILANNA M Member Since: Jun 29, 2014
1 of 82

Hello All;

As many of you know there was a dispute between me and my last client here. We went into dispute resolution and nothing was proven as I did nothing wrong. But he's so angry he didn't get his money back he's used his feedback comments to accuse me again. I've notified Upwork but what can I do? I realize this is why no one is contacting me now. 

Community Leader
Varun G Member Since: Dec 11, 2019
2 of 82

If the feedback is objectively false, then Upwork may remove it. It's a long shot and they only do so in rare circumstances. Contact the team about it.

Community Leader
3 of 82

He tried to prove this in dispute resolution and failed. But, he's angry he didn't get his money back. We agreed in resolution that he was not to do this and he's defied that agreement. 

Community Leader
Varun G Member Since: Dec 11, 2019
4 of 82

Making any sort of agreement or guarantee regarding feedback isn't allowed (I think), and even if it is, there's certainly no reason for him to uphold his word. The best you can do is ask him (and the Upwork team) to take down the feedback. In the world of freelancing, you're inevitably going to come across a few really terrible clients. Happens to the best of us.

Community Leader
5 of 82

I didn't know that. Why didn't Upwork say so? I never would have ended the dispute resolution process. As to his feedback it's ruining my profile here and no one has contacted me since. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 82

Varun, it is most unlikely that Upwork will touch that feedback. Unless the feedback actually violates the terms of service they won't.

Please stop saying they might and giving false hope.

Ilanna, it is a violation of the terms of service to trade a refund for feedback or lack of poor feedback. So that is another reason they will almost certainly not touch it. 

Enforcing an agreement that is a terms of service violation would be most peculiar.

One poor feedback does not ruin your profile. See that you get a few other feedbacks so it drops down the page, it will vanish from the first page soon that way. Clients can see beyond one singe poor feedback.

Community Leader
7 of 82

In other words, a client can say whatever they like even if it's untrue? How is that a fair way to conduct business. I've been writing for 45 years and this has never been said about me. 

Community Guru
Tarpinder S Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 82

If you are top-rated and have not used the feedback removal perk for the last 3 months and 10 contracts.  You can use your top rated perk to remove this feedback.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
9 of 82

ILANNA M wrote:

In other words, a client can say whatever they like even if it's untrue? How is that a fair way to conduct business. I've been writing for 45 years and this has never been said about me. 

This is true of any review system. Check out some of the complaints that brick and mortar stores have about online review platforms. You could sue for defamation. Have you responded and indicated that the client's feedback was left following an unsuccessful attempt on his part to avoid payment. People are capable of using discernment when assessing the veracity of feedback.

IMO, reviews and social proof aren't likely to go away so the best strategy is to learn how to cope with their existence. 😕

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
10 of 82

Except, Tonya, Upwork strives to be a platform where professional freelancers are brought together with clients who need valuable services. It is most certainly not a mere "online review platform."

Unlike, say, a restaurant's non-existent relationship with Yelp and its rowdy ilk, Upwork fully controls its own feedback platform. That platform serves neither freelancers nor clients if it doesn't provide accurate information.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS