cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving an open contract?

Katie C Member Since: Sep 21, 2015
1 of 4

I have a client who had a recent personal tragedy in his life and is unable to give me another milestone for several months.  I am ok with that, but my JSS already dropped because it looked like I had not completed the previous milestone due to inactivity.  I had him pay me for that milestone, so I wouldn't continue to be penalzied. 

However, it is now just an open contract with no new milestone listed.  Is this going to affect my JSS further?  Should I just have him close it, and then rehire me several months later when he can deal with this project again?  

It's silly that I have to care about this because neither my client nor I are concerned with having an open contract, but even though the Upwork team says it doesn't affect JSS, I watched it already affect it before.

What say ye, freelancers?  Leave it open, or have him close it, and then rehire me later.  What is the best and safest route for me to take to avoid mystical punishment from the unicorn fairy of JSS? 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 4

If it's easier, I would just leave it open. This way you don't have to worry about the search function when she comes back.

Katie C Member Since: Sep 21, 2015
3 of 4

I have no problem leaving it open.  I was just worried that it would look like an inactive contract and affect my JSS. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 4

I think some of these things are negligible as long as you are doing well otherwise. I would forget JS and just leave it open. Do what makes sense here and I think leaving it open to make it easy for the customer is the better option. What's  1 or 2 JS points when you could have a customer who can't find you, gets frustrated and finds someone else or just goes elsewhere?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS