kat303

Leaving the community discussions

This will be my last post in this section. If any of my responses have helped just one person then that is enough satisfaction for me.

I am having a problem with my IE browser in accessing certain sections of this site. Reading and seeing images from other freelancers it seems like I am not the only one experiencing this problem.

I received an answer from the community manager stating the IE is no longer supported. In fact, that Exact same answer I received can be found as a reply to a freelancer here   https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Why-cant-i-see-create-profile-section-Page-is-blank/m-p/...

When I reply to freelancers who are having that exact problem, and I'm threaten to stop replying with that answer otherwise I will be banned from this site, I think it's time for me to leave voluntarily.

When moderators don't know what the others are doing and somehow I'm to blame then it's totally not worth it to be in the discussion area anymore.

21 REPLIES 21
yitwail

Kathy, I understand your decision, but I hope you reconsider. And if you were threatened with a ban for merely repeating a comment made by a moderator, then I'm at risk of a ban because I do the same thing. As mere contributors, we don't have access to information available to moderators, so by echoing their comments, we're doing our best to provide the most accurate information available without going through hoops like adding a link to the moderator's comment then requiring the freelancer who asked a question to click the link and scroll down to the moderator's comment, instead of simply quoting or paraphrasing the moderator.

When I responded to a thread in the Announcement section (2016 review) and mentioned that 2 of the allegedly most active & valued providers had been banned (one temporarily & one permanently), my post got deleted. When I inquired why, the question got deleted. Well played...

While we were all "allowed" to openly rally for Janean I wasn't allowed to do the same thing for Margarete, who was permabanned for "being too negative". She was no more negative than I am. I wasn't even permitted to mention her name. And it's not about being negative but about discovering & discussing flaws and bugs - and there are more than enough to talk about.

And when Kathy dares to repeat a comment already made by a mod, no less, she get's threatened with a ban as well. I have quoted mods numerous times.

Upwork, is this really the best you can do? 

You falter in the face of pressure (see Janean). But you also stressed the fact that you treat all providers the same, which, by all means, you should. Prove it.

HI Ela,

When a user is banned from the community by our team, it is against our Commuity Guidelines: "Discussing or reposting deleted posts or warning letters or discussion of sanctioned or no longer registered members." That's why your posts were removed.

When a user is suspended from the Upwork platform there is an automatic read-only flag that is applied to their account. I'm not sure if that is what happened to Janean's account, but to that regard she wasn't removed because of her conduct on the forums, so posting about her account status was allowed. 

Untitled

@Lena E wrote:

HI Ela,

When a user is banned from the community by our team, it is against our Commuity Guidelines: "Discussing or reposting deleted posts or warning letters or discussion of sanctioned or no longer registered members." That's why your posts were removed.

When a user is suspended from the Upwork platform there is an automatic read-only flag that is applied to their account. I'm not sure if that is what happened to Janean's account, but to that regard she wasn't removed because of her conduct on the forums, so posting about her account status was allowed. 

Thanks Lena. I appreciate your reply to my query and your response to Kathy's post.

I still think UW (one specific mod) reacted too strongly to some of Ms posts. And I don't think her ban was warranted.

That's all I wanted to say. And it has to be possible to do so within this community. Especially when she is displayed in the banner in the thread I mentioned before.

Getting rid of criticism by eliminating the critics just is not the way.

Ela K wrote:  Margarete, who was permabanned

WHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT????????????????????????????

@Petra R wrote:

I was thinking the same thing! 

Petra's post:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

My mouth totally, fully opened; and my eyes bugged out when I read that earlier in the thread.  I'll second the ... what???  

lenaellis
Staff
Staff

Kathy,

I apologize for the misinformation that I provided as I misunderstood what was shared with me. We still support Internet Explorer, however, several users experience issues when using the site with IE. Our engineers are working to resolve those issues. 

You should not have been sent warnings for information that was shared with you by a moderator (me). We strive to provide correct information to our users and you are warranted to share the information i provided as being correct. It is my fault for not verifying the information before sharing it with you. I apologize for any messages you have received on behalf of my misunderstanding. 

You are very helpful and we appreciate all your contributions here in the forums. I echo John's sentiments and urge you to stay, please 🙂

Untitled

No Kathy! Just No!

Don't you dare go.

Just shout at whoever threatened you with a ban and carry on.  We all make mistakes, including mods.

You're not going anywhere. Please.

That said: IE is not a Browser. It is a piece of really cr*ppy software included in new computers with the SOLE purpose of downloading a proper browser, before deinstalling and trashing it immediately and permanently.

@ Lena,  this is the first time I've ever read an apology from a mod - good for you for not only issuing it but for not clothing the same in U-speak.  Your apology really is appreciated.

@ Kathy - don't you dare!  The 'posse' will come pull you out of self-inflicted hibernation.  🙂

Thank you, Lena, for following up on this.

Kathy -- certainly understand why your jaw would drop and you would say to yourself (in effect) "blank it" when being admonished for repeating official Up-Speak.  Glad that the error seems to have been acknowledged, and that you may stay with us.

Stay, Kathy!  Stay!!!  (Bad enough that I miss Margarete!)

I understand Kathy's concerns. I find myself quite unsettled by recent forum communications. 

Petra posted:

No Kathy! Just No!

Don't you dare go.

Just shout at whoever threatened you with a ban and carry on.  We all make mistakes, including mods.

That said: IE is not a Browser. It is a piece of really cr*ppy software included in new computers with the SOLE purpose of downloading a proper browser, before deinstalling and trashing it immediately and permanently.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

For whatever it's worth, Kathy, I totally agree with Petra on all points.

You contribute SO much, and your style of doing so is so refreshing.

I used I.E. back in the oDesk days but have used Firefox or Chrome with Upwork; both work great. 

@Petra R wrote:

No Kathy! Just No!

Don't you dare go.

May we all just stay together?  I remember someone told me before that it's such an insane idea to try to thwart one another from the platform.  I do not know how to really express myself at this moment.  Everything seems to be falling apart.

Lena - I accept your appology and I thank you for coming on here admitting it and clearing everything up. Hopefully, in the future all moderators will be on the same page if anything like this happens again.

Since this incident (but not the actual problem yet) is cleared up I wouldn't mind if you closed this thread for further replies.

versailles

Why would someone want to stick with IE? It's a true question.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K. posted:

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rene, so Kathy might have just one fault.  We're all allowed at least one aren't we?  Smiley Wink

@Pat M wrote:

Rene K. posted:

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rene, so Kathy might have just one fault.  We're all allowed at least one aren't we?  Smiley Wink

I don't see a fault. I was just curious.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

I've asked that soooo many times here...

@Rene K wrote:

Because if something isn't broke you don't fix it. As long as I've been using IE I have never had a single bit of trouble with it. I am able to open all the web pages I have ever visited, It loads fast, Any failures I've had were due to my computer equipment and not my browser, I haven't had any viruses or mayleware infections through my browser itself. And it has never crashed on me.

I guess if it causes so much problems (crashes etc) with people, I can see why they hate it. But that's not the case for me. In fact, this is the first time that there is a problem on a site, using IE. And that's a true answer.

aocumen

Hi Kathy, 

I apologise if you feel that I threatened you with a reply I posted on another thread. 

When the issue was raised, I confirmed on one of your threads that IE is still currently being supported by the platform. I also reached out to Lena so that she can clarify her reply, and have followed up with the team handling your ticket so that you can be updated. I only removed one of your replies to apost so that it doesn't cause confusion among other members of the community. 

I didn't mean to sound "threatening" or to offend you in any way, and I apologise again if that was the case. With that being said, I hope that you do not leave the community because we value the effort you put into helping other members of the community. (Even if the threads were posted for a few hours already, you always still reply to help out another member, and I always watch out for those replies of yours! Robot Happy)

~ Avery
Upwork