🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Legal Name Change
Page options
jeffdcoward
Community Member

Legal Name Change

I recently changed my name legally and found that I cannot update my username on Upwork to reflect my new name.

I really need to update my login username for ease of remembering by keeping it consistent with my other account logins.

If I can’t change it... can I create a new Upwork account and have my current profile info linked to the new account?

This I feel is a unique case where the ability to change the username is needed.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
colettelewis
Community Member

Jeff C wrote:
I recently changed my name legally and found that I cannot update my username on Upwork to reflect my new name.

I really need to update my login username for ease of remembering by keeping it consistent with my other account logins.

If I can’t change it... can I create a new Upwork account and have my current profile info linked to the new account?

This I feel is a unique case where the ability to change the username is needed.

Thanks

I agree that sometimes one should be able to change one's user name as they are so often displayed publicly (by mistake, of course), but it does seem to be Upwork's policy not to allow this. 

I doubt very much though that you will be allowed to create a new account, and if Upwork finds out that you have, then you are likely to be suspended permanently. 

However, you are allowed to change your profile name, but you need to contact customer service to get them to help you. 

You don't need to change your username.

Why would I be suspeneded for opening a new upwork account? That doesn't make sense to me. If I have never accepted a job on my upwork account and I decide to close that account and create a new one, why would that be an issue?

Jeff C wrote:

Why would I be suspeneded for opening a new upwork account? That doesn't make sense to me. If I have never accepted a job on my upwork account and I decide to close that account and create a new one, why would that be an issue?

Because Upwork prohibits having more than one account even after closing one.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
petra_r
Community Member

Jeff C wrote:

You don't need to do this at all. You can just use your email to log in. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members