🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Legal Name of Business - should I use my per...
Page options
iadil8
Community Member

Legal Name of Business - should I use my personal name or my LLC?

I'm a little confused what should I use for Legal Name of Business .

Should I use my full name with my SSN or my single member LLC company name with EIN?

I think I can use both, but need an advice what will be the best- make tax on my company or personal?

Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a_lipsey
Community Member

Adil A wrote:

Should I use my full name with my SSN or my single member LLC company name with EIN?

I think I can use both, but need an advice what will be the best- make tax on my company or personal?

Thank you.

Hi Adil, I just wanted to revisit since I myself talked to customer support since I had the same concern. On your profile, you need to use YOUR legal name. On the tax information page, use your LLC and include your LLC's EIN.  Of course you should talk to your accountant, but the biggest concern would be that if you use your name and SSN on the tax information, then it could be considered self employment income. If you have an LLC to help deal with taxes, then you want the income Upwork reports to be going to your LLC.  

And my disclaimer, I'm not an accountant, I just went through this myself and this is how it shook out for me. If you have additional questions you should absolutely email support and talk to your accountant about where the income needs to be reported. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Adil A wrote:

Thank you.

You have to use your own legal name on a freelancer account.

I assume you have a number of different sources of income, how they flow together and where you pay income tax on them is purely an accounting matter that has to be handled on your end. 

Thank you, Martina.

wescowley
Community Member

It depends on how your LLC is treated for tax purposes. If you haven't made an election for the LLC to be treated as a corporation (S or C), you should use your name and SSN. If you have made that election, use your LLC name and EIN. 

Talk to your tax person or lawyer to be sure.

iadil8
Community Member

Thank you, Wes. I definitely should talk with a tax person about it.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Adil A wrote:

Thank you.

Hi Adil, I just wanted to revisit since I myself talked to customer support since I had the same concern. On your profile, you need to use YOUR legal name. On the tax information page, use your LLC and include your LLC's EIN.  Of course you should talk to your accountant, but the biggest concern would be that if you use your name and SSN on the tax information, then it could be considered self employment income. If you have an LLC to help deal with taxes, then you want the income Upwork reports to be going to your LLC.  

And my disclaimer, I'm not an accountant, I just went through this myself and this is how it shook out for me. If you have additional questions you should absolutely email support and talk to your accountant about where the income needs to be reported. 

iadil8
Community Member

Amanda, thank you for detailed answer! 

Hi Amanda,

If we are husband and wife means two profiles from a same family so can we use same LLC for tax filings on both profiles

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members