🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Legal name vs. Published name
Page options
lkquinnelly
Community Member

Legal name vs. Published name

Hello! I'm looking for some advice. My legal name is Laura Quinnelly, but I have always publised under the nickname Katie Quinnelly. I've tried to change my name on UpWork to the nickname, so that it matches my projects as I'm developing my profile, but it seems that, in order to verify identity, the profile must remain under my legal name. Is there a way to remedy this? Any advice is appreciated. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Laura Q wrote:

Hello! I'm looking for some advice. My legal name is Laura Quinnelly, but I have always publised under the nickname Katie Quinnelly. I've tried to change my name on UpWork to the nickname, so that it matches my projects as I'm developing my profile, but it seems that, in order to verify identity, the profile must remain under my legal name. Is there a way to remedy this? Any advice is appreciated. 

Not unless your country's passport or ID document allows you to add a nom de plume to it? (Mine does, for example, if you are well known enough under that name.)

In any case, your name has to match your ID documents. Upwork makes some allowances for short forms such as Jim for James or Katie for Katherine, but Laura and Katie are a step too far.

Also remember that your profile name must match your bank name, or you won't be able to withdraw any money.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Laura Q wrote:

Not unless your country's passport or ID document allows you to add a nom de plume to it? (Mine does, for example, if you are well known enough under that name.)

In any case, your name has to match your ID documents. Upwork makes some allowances for short forms such as Jim for James or Katie for Katherine, but Laura and Katie are a step too far.

Also remember that your profile name must match your bank name, or you won't be able to withdraw any money.

Ah, I can see the problem coming with withdrawals. Thank you for this advice. I suppose simply adding a note in my profile that my legal name and publishing name are different will have to do. Thanks again.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is there a way to remedy this?"

Yes. This is easy to accomplish.

In order to be able to confirm your identity and withdraw funds, make sure that your official Upwork name is the same as your bank account name and the name on your government-issued identity documents. But you can GO BY your published name or nickname. State your preferred published name or nickname in your profile overview text:

"You may have read my writing, published under my pen name: Katie Quinnelly."

And when you communicate with clients, tell them: "You can call me Katie."

a_collitt
Community Member

Thanks for flagging this Laura, I had the exact same query too

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members