🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Legit Client?
Page options
jirvin716
Community Member

Legit Client?

I had a short Skype interview for a long-term job I was invited to apply to a few weeks. I have not been hired yet, and the client asked me to look over a content requirement doc and to email the owner of the company I'd be writing for to introduce myself. (I have not done either yet - I don't do any work without a contract in place.) I suspect they are trying not to hire me on Upwork. The client has a verified payment method, but they have 9 jobs posted and a 0% hire rate, which raises a red flag for me. I am about to withdraw my proposal. Am I making the right decision?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jennifer B wrote:

Petra R wrote:

You don't know that. If they do, report them and decline, but at this stage there is no proof. Scammers don't tend to verify their payment method.

I'm not saying they're a scammer. I'm saying that I suspect they find freelancers on Upwork but want them to work outside of the platform for whatever reason, which I thought was against Upwork's rules. 

But you won't know what their intentions are until you have spoken to them, do you? Obviously you would be "working outside of Upwork" (how could you work "inside?") but as long as they hire and pay you via Upwork (and so far there is no proof they intend to do anything else) there is no problem.

It MAY turn out to be a client who tries to hire directly without paying via Upwork (which *IS* a violation) but if you withdraw now, you will never know and there is no chance of being hired, via Upwork, paid via Upwork, for a job you must have been interested in and must have thought worthwhile applying for.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Jennifer B wrote:

I had a short Skype interview for a long-term job I was invited to apply to a few weeks. I have not been hired yet, and the client asked me to look over a content requirement doc and to email the owner of the company I'd be writing for to introduce myself. (I have not done either yet - I don't do any work without a contract in place.)

Nothing wrong with that. That isn't "doing work" - maybe that's the their interview process.

Jennifer B wrote:

I suspect they are trying not to hire me on Upwork. The client has a verified payment method,

You don't know that. If they do, report them and decline, but at this stage there is no proof. Scammers don't tend to verify their payment method.

Jennifer B wrote:

The client has a verified payment method, but they have 9 open jobs and a 0% hire rate,

Are they fairly new? Why not email the guy and find out? What do you have to lose?

Petra R wrote:

I'm not saying they're a scammer. I'm saying that I suspect they find freelancers on Upwork but want them to work outside of the platform for whatever reason, which I thought was against Upwork's rules. 

Hi Jennifer,

Yes that is correct, offering or accepting to get paid outside of Upwork is a violation of our TOS. But, communicating outside of Upwork is not a violation of our TOS. 

Feel free to send me more details at any time via PM and our team will investigate the client further. If any violations are found proper actions will be taken. 
If you have any additional questions let me know, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Jennifer B wrote:

Petra R wrote:

But you won't know what their intentions are until you have spoken to them, do you? Obviously you would be "working outside of Upwork" (how could you work "inside?") but as long as they hire and pay you via Upwork (and so far there is no proof they intend to do anything else) there is no problem.

It MAY turn out to be a client who tries to hire directly without paying via Upwork (which *IS* a violation) but if you withdraw now, you will never know and there is no chance of being hired, via Upwork, paid via Upwork, for a job you must have been interested in and must have thought worthwhile applying for.

From what I have seen over the years, as reported here in the Forum... Most scammers DO NOT use Skype.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths