🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Legit Job?
Page options
carolyn_spellman
Community Member

Legit Job?

Hi, I did a job interview over google hangouts, and among the other things that seemed odd, they want to pay me directly by check. I'm new to Upwork, but is this a warning sign?

They gave me a link to a legit website based in San Francisco, but I have some concerns.

They also mentioned that I'm eligible for benefits after eight weeks...as a freelancer? And they wouldn't give me specifics about what I'd be edting.

Has anyone else had an "interview" like this? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a_lipsey
Community Member

Carolyn S wrote:

Hi, I did a job interview over google hangouts, and among the other things that seemed odd, they want to pay me directly by check. I'm new to Upwork, but is this a warning sign?

They gave me a link to a legit website based in San Francisco, but I have some concerns.

They also mentioned that I'm eligible for benefits after eight weeks...as a freelancer? And they wouldn't give me specifics about what I'd be edting.

Scam and Upwork TOS violation. If you are paid outside of Upwork, that's a TOS violation. Also, never give your personal information or accept a check from anyone off platform. The check will be fake, and you will be out the money from your account. 

If someone wants to hire you as an employee, Upwork has W2 services. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
a_lipsey
Community Member

Carolyn S wrote:

Scam and Upwork TOS violation. If you are paid outside of Upwork, that's a TOS violation. Also, never give your personal information or accept a check from anyone off platform. The check will be fake, and you will be out the money from your account. 

If someone wants to hire you as an employee, Upwork has W2 services. 

Thanks! This was a good initiation -- I'll ignore offers like this. I appreciate the guidance. 

versailles
Community Member

Here: Getting Started on Upwork 

Once you finish reading everything, read it again.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
yitwail
Community Member

Carolyn, I suggest you read this article: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833 

But to answer your question, it's not legit. The check will bounce, you will be suspended, and anyone who can Google can find a company website link.

Thank you, John. I appreciate the excellent guidance! 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for flagging this for us. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report. I'll check that further and escalate accordingly.

Additionally, please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Bojan, 

The system won't let me message you, but I would be happy to supply more info about this situation. Thanks! 

Hi Carolyn,

Could you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if you`re able to send me a PM?

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths