🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Legit or Not?
Page options
pchavers
Community Member

Legit or Not?

Someone sent me a message about a job but I'm not sure if it is legit. I've applied for a few lately but I cannot determine which one this person **edited for Community Guidelines** is referring to. He wants to interview me through Google Hangouts. I get suspicious when they want to interview me outside of Upwork.  The only reference to the job was that it was a virtual assistant: data entry job but there are a lot of those.  He said he would discuss the details in the 20 minute interview.  

Any thoughts on this?  I really don't want to waste time setting up an interview with him if its nothing but a spam job or if he's trying to go around Upwork.  It even says in Upwork that he doesn't currently have access to Upwork.  What does that mean?

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Penny:

Legitimate clients do not invite entry-level newbie freelancers to interview using Google Hangouts.

This is just a scammer trying to steal your money.

re: "It even says in Upwork that he doesn't currently have access to Upwork. What does that mean?"

It means there is no way for YOU to make money.

But the scammer might make money off of you, by tricking you into giving up thousands of dollars in your checking account.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Penny C wrote:

Someone sent me a message about a job but I'm not sure if it is legit. I've applied for a few lately but I cannot determine which one this person (Thomas Cook) is referring to. He wants to interview me through Google Hangouts. I get suspicious when they want to interview me outside of Upwork.  The only reference to the job was that it was a virtual assistant: data entry job but there are a lot of those.  He said he would discuss the details in the 20 minute interview.  

Any thoughts on this?  I really don't want to waste time setting up an interview with him if its nothing but a spam job or if he's trying to go around Upwork.  It even says in Upwork that he doesn't currently have access to Upwork.  What does that mean?

You got it. It means he's not a client on UW. No account = scammer. Or he's been banned and is trying to get in another way. 

kat303
Community Member

Penny - Any mention of Google Hangouts indicates it's a scam. That's where all the scammers hang out. And if this client does not have an account on Upwork that means that Upwork suspended their account  most likely because of the same scam he's trying to pull on you. Don't waste your time on anything to do with this client.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths