juwrightasa

Legitimacy of client

I was invited to interview for a position and once I accepted, the client had me send her an email to her personal email. It took a few days to hear back from her, but she just sent me back an email saying she has chosen me for the job and it would $400/week. The job seems legitimate; however, the pay doesn't. In her email to me, she gave me her full name, age, occupation, and other information, so to me, it sounds like she's who she claims to be. In her email, she discussed how I would be paid for my work which read, "A payment inform of a Certified Check will be sent over to you from one of my clients and i have some lists to email you once you received the funds, You will make some arrangements by buying some stuff for the kids in the Orphanage at any nearest store around you then mail them out". She also asked for my first, middle, and last name, home address, city, state, zip code, home & cell phone numbers, and my occupation (if any). Giving out that info to a complete stranger kind of set off a red flag to me. Does any of this sound like a real job to you all or a scam? I've been scammed in the past and I don't want it to happen again. Any advice you could send my way ASAP would be greatly appreciated!
14 REPLIES 14
katrinabeaver

Hello Julia, It's against TOS to take ANY payment outside of oDesk. This does definitely sound like a scam. If you use the general rule first you will never have to worry about being duped on scams like these. Please report the posting as spam and also working outside of the oDesk platform. If you do take a payment such as this, you can and probably will get your account suspended or closed.
"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

Hi Katrina, I figured nonetheless, but I also figured I would check some other opinions since I'm new to this site. Thank you for your help! I'll report the client asap!

An absolute scam for sure that has been present on this site for a while. Clients generally do not need to know all of those personal details about you. Some jobs require you to purchase goods on behalf of the client, but this transfer is made via oDesk.

Thank you for your response Gillian! I'm disappointed that this ended up being a scam. The past few offers I've gotten have ended up this way. I'm starting to become discouraged. However, I'm sure something will come along soon! Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it!

Just remember we all were new at one time. You will find something. It might take some time. Also remember the scammers like the prey on new freelancers. Just be proactive and if you ever have a doubt just come ask.
"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

Thank you for the encouragement! I did some digging around in some of the other forums and it turns out the same client sent the same message to some other freelancers on here with the same email (verbatim) back in June and July. Turns out it is a scam then and the client came back to try again. I sent a complaint to support letting them know and attached the email that was sent to me. Again, thank you for your help and kind words!

"Just remember we all were new at one time": that's so true. It took me months to get a decent job here on oDesk, but since then I've been rewarded with more interesting tasks, and now I have some good clients and new opportunities almost every day. Don't stop trying, and you'll find your way through oDesk. Just remember: NEVER accept to work outside of oDesk, ALWAYS flag and report clients & jobs which don't comply with the rules, and you'll just be fine here. If you have the skills, then you'll find good jobs for sure :-) Good luck! Mattia
“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger

You're welcome. Just remember to always read through the Help section/FAQs, it contains some good information. Keep searching the forums and asking questions. Never start a job without being officially hired. (The contract appears under ' My Jobs'). Never start working until the client has a verified payment method. Most of all, use your gut. If something doesn't sound right or is too good to be true, then that's a red flag. You'll find something in time. We all started out just like you, and many of us now work with some nice clients. One of my longest clients online has hired my services for 1 year so far. All the best.
d67whitney

I received this as well. At first I thought it was legit so I provided my name and address. However, the response email I was very uncomfortable with and did not reply with any further information. Well, yesterday I checked my email and had another message from her that said I had been chosen and that a check was on the way for $1980 and sent via USPS. I ran the checking number and found it had been delivered to my mailbox. (I don't check my mail everyday) Well, I checked it today and sure enough a check for that amount was in there. I never told her that I accepted the job or that I would comply, she just did it. (I have email to back up my responses.) What do I do from here? I do not accept this payment and will not do anything with it. Do I send it back to the person who sent it to me? Do I report it to the bank that the payment is from that it's suspected fraud? Any advice would be helpful as I want to be done with this and do not want to be removed from oDesk. Thank you Debbie Whitney
jkirk2012

I just got an update from this same client yesterday.

I was all happy until the email correspondence sounded fishy:  I was supposed to be purchasing stuff before I got paid.

*sigh*

I guess I have to report this client based on my experience and what I've read in this thread.

Smiley Frustrated

You never need to purchase software or office supplies blah blah.

I've been asked to use certain books from Amazon as a reference, and they credit me the amount of the book. If you're using their software, they provide you with a copy and a license. That's how it works with real gigs.

Exactly, Jennifer....

@Jennifer M wrote:

You never need to purchase software or office supplies blah blah.

You maybe, but I am luckier than you. Yesterday the King of Nigeria died, and he made me the recipient of his immense fortune. The only thing I had to do is to send a ridiculously low amount, $500, through Western Delusion bank, to his accountant, along with a copy of my ID and my bank details. They'll send $14M to my account by tomorrow!

This, and the Spanish lottery I won last week will change my life.

Oh, wait, I'm receiving some sad news again... Gosh, a rich widow died in South Scamistan, they need me to collect her fortune. I'm on my way...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Greetings,

I know you will be surprise to read my email.  Please don't be skeptical to reply me. My name is Capt. Kate Carr Lee. I am a member of the US ARMY medical team deployed to Iraq because of the current ISIS problems. I discovered trunk boxes containing American dollar bills. I have deposited two of these boxes with a security company here in Iraq. Am looking for a trust worthy individual who will assist me to receive the funds in his country before l will come over and join the person. Please, I want this to be between you and me since I am still in the service. To prove my sincerity, you are not sending me any money because most of these scams are all about sending money.

Please send me the following below.

1. Full Name...
2. Address....
3. Occupation...
4. Age..........
5. Your Telephone Number.

As soon as i received these information i will get back to you.

Best Regards,
Capt. Kate Carr Lee.

Seems legit.