cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Legitimate Company

Tamika G Member Since: Apr 18, 2016
1 of 10

Does anyone know if **Edited for Community Guidelines** is a legitimate company to work for?

Leyla D Member Since: Apr 18, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 10

Did they send you an interview request and tell you that they would hire you at $30 an hour? If this is the same company I'm thinking of then I doubt it's legit. I have had MANY similar invitations; they always want to chat via hangouts or Yahoo and always want to hire you at a super high rate. I have seen that the people that actually want you to do work for them (and are legit) are usually the lower paying jobs, IMO. But that's ok!

I usually decline, mark as spam, block, and flag their post.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

Tamika G Member Since: Apr 18, 2016
3 of 10

Yes they did offer that type of money, but when I Googled them, there weren't any bad reviews. I checked with the BBB but nothing there. I was trying to check on Upwork to see how many people they've hired and if the money was verified, but unsure how to do that on Upwork. Do you know how?

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
4 of 10
Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 10

Hi Tamika,

The client information you're looking for is available on the right side of a job post.

Make sure not to start working unless you have an active contract on Upwork, use Upwork Protection Programs and only accept to get paid through the platform. To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread.

You can find valuable information in the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Help Center and by reading "A Freelancer's Guide to Upwork". I also suggest watching our educational videos and reading the best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

I edited your post, as we do not allow posting information about specific member or job posting violations in the Community.

Raju P Member Since: Apr 19, 2016
6 of 10

**Edited for Community Guidelines**ž

Hello,
Thanks for applying to the job. We have reviewed your proposal and you seem like a good fit for the position. However, before we can officially employ you, we require you to fill out a job application for business purposes. The file has been locked to prevent spam and abuse from automated programs.
You can download the application here: **Edited for Community Guidelines**
Once you have downloaded and filled out the application, proceed to send it to **Edited for Community Guidelines** along with any questions you may have about the job.
We will confirm the application within 48 hours and send you an e-mail back. We can then proceed to work through Upwork.
Best regards,
**Edited for Community Guidelines**
Employee manager
**Edited for Community Guidelines**

this was the msg that i received today from a client **Edited for Community Guidelines** for a job applied 4 days before,  when clicked the provided link it goes to some survey and asks us to pay money!!

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 10

Hi Raju,

Please take screenshots of the message you received and of the application form, and submit them directly to Support for review. Please check my post above and note that you should never pay in order to apply, be considered for or win a job.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 10

re: "but when I Googled them, there weren't any bad reviews. I checked with the BBB"

!!!

Tamika:

Never Google a company's name or a client's name when you are considering an Upwork job.

Never.

Never check with the BBB.

This is part of their scam. They know that you will do this. When you do this, you are playing onto their con.

Scammers copy the names of real companies.

Lefitimate clients may be starting out and likely have no web presence you can google, and no listing with the BBB.

So when you use google or the BBB you end up with the opposite of useful information.

The information you need to determine if a client is legitimate is within Upwork. That is all that matters.

Eydie S Member Since: Sep 11, 2016
9 of 10

Be careful I almost fell for one Mayo Healthcare I think they are using a legitimate business as a cover.  The website looks real.  This scam is different because there is no incorrect spelling and the vocabulary is good.

But after checking on Indeed there are a bunch of scams using legitimate companies.

The M.O. is Over 30.00 an hour

medical, dental 401k

say they will send you a check to buy a laptop, printer and software from their vendor

they ask for name address cell# and name of your bank

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
10 of 10

Red flags:

• Scammers use the name of a real comany and often the name of employees as well
  • Clients never need any personal information from you - address, phone, date of birth, social security no., etc. Upwork has the necessary information. No one else needs it.
  • Offering benefits, overtime or mention of HR department.  Freelancers are NOT employees, do not get benefits and must pay their own taxes
  • You do not have to buy software, hardware, put down a security deposit or spend any money in any way for a job with a real client
  • Any money you receive from client MUST go through Upwork.  Any money.  Any time.  No exceptions
  • No "tests" or "samples" without being paid for them.  This is considered free work and is not allowed.
  • If you are new with no track record, pretty much any direct invitation will be a scam.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS