Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legitimate client, illegitimate terms?

anna_guryeva
Ace Contributor
Anna G Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
1 of 16

I've just had an interview. The client wanted me to complete the translation within 3 days. It was realistic; I agreed. Then he said he would like to receive the first 10-25% by tomorrow night. I said, ok, let's break it into 2 milestones then. He said no, he would only assign 1 milestone, and only release it after I complete 100% and he has it checked (!) - and I still have to deliver it partially tomorrow, as he wants to be sure that I "keep on track". Needless to say, I declined it... Quite a usual story but this time the client seemed to be legitimate: payment method verified, 40+ hires. Do scammers go to the new level?

UPD: Or am I getting paranoid? :-)

UPD2: Thanks to everyone! Everything seems to be legitimate, just bizarre.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 16

@Anna G wrote:

I've just had an interview. The client wanted me to complete the translation within 3 days. It was realistic; I agreed. Then he said he would like to receive the first 10-25% by tomorrow night. I said, ok, let's break it into 2 milestones then. He said no, he would only assign 1 milestone, and only release it after I complete 100% and he has it checked (!) - and I still have to deliver it partially tomorrow, as he wants to be sure that I "keep on track". Needless to say, I declined it... Quite a usual story but this time the client seemed to be legitimate: payment method verified, 40+ hires. Do scammers go to the new level?

I can't really see why the client is setting these terms. Three days is not very long. If you agreed to deliver the whole work (on the one milestone) in three days, then that is the agreement.

I would not fall for this peculiar  percentage.  He might not be a scammer, but he is unreasonable.

ETA: If this were me, I would back out of this contract if it hasn't already been set up.

anna_guryeva
Ace Contributor
3 of 16

Maybe I'm being too suspicious and it was rather a strange offer than a scam offer. :-) Anyway, I declined it politely.

garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
4 of 16

Hi Anna,

I think Nichola's right here. It might not be a scammer, but sounds like some unrealistic expectations for this project. Proposing a couple of milestones as you suggested seems reasonable for this type of project.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 16

@Anna G wrote:

I've just had an interview. The client wanted me to complete the translation within 3 days. It was realistic; I agreed. Then he said he would like to receive the first 10-25% by tomorrow night. I said, ok, let's break it into 2 milestones then. He said no, he would only assign 1 milestone, and only release it after I complete 100% and he has it checked

If 100% of the project value is funded, I don't think it is a problem.

In the overall scheme of things a three day contract is a little contract. If the whole thing is fully funded, what is the issue?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 16

never mind--didn't read far enough

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 16

Personally, I don't mind partial delivery if the full amount is funded, but that's the beauty of freelancing. Your house. Your rules. If he dun wanna play by those rules, c'est la vie, Richard.

anna_guryeva
Ace Contributor
8 of 16

Jennifer, may I ask you then? I'm not a newbie here but I've never worked with this sort of partial delivery, that's why I may be over-suspicious. If you do it, do you submit the partial result as a milestone anyway, and once you complete, resubmit it? I mean, if you simply send it via messages, the client can receive it and cancel the contract, no? (Sorry if the question is too silly :-)))

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 16

However you submit the partally completed work, if your client cancels the contract, he still has to pay the amount in escrow unless he disputes it.  If this happens then I would call his bluff and take it to arbritration.

I still think this is bizarre behaviour for a three-day translation contract which you have agreed to deliver.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 16

Anna, is the whole contract funded?

If "yes" - what is the problem with sending a part of it before seding the whole thing? Does it not make sense to get feedback as early as possible?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS