Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legitimate client, illegitimate terms?

anna_guryeva
Ace Contributor
Anna G Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
11 of 16

Petra, as I explained above, I just didn't know what would happen if the client decided to cancel the contract, plus there was some sort of odd feeling... See the update to my original post. :-)

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 16

Anna,

Please, note that you can request partial amount to be released from Escrow when you submit your work through the system. Similarly, the client can edit the amount they release. So if the full amount is funded, you can deliver part of the work and request partial payment. The rest will remain in Escrow until one of you closes the contract. If you close the contract, all the funds remaining in Escrow will be refunded to the client. If the client closes the contract, they will have an option to release the remaining funds to you or request a refund.

~ Valeria
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
13 of 16

If I agree to deliver 4000 words in three days with the day and hour specified. I expect to do just that.

The text could have varying degrees of difficulty. I sometimes tackle the most difficult parts first, which do not necessarilhy follow the course of the text. Within this time frame and on one milestone, I would not/ could not agree to deliver part of the translation at the end of one day.

If a client wants an hourly break down then he must specify that in his/her offer.  Or, he/she sets up (absurdly), milestones over three days.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
14 of 16

@Anna G wrote:

Jennifer, may I ask you then? I'm not a newbie here but I've never worked with this sort of partial delivery, that's why I may be over-suspicious. If you do it, do you submit the partial result as a milestone anyway, and once you complete, resubmit it? I mean, if you simply send it via messages, the client can receive it and cancel the contract, no? (Sorry if the question is too silly :-)))

I'll do it if it's a short deadline like the three days, but yeah if the full amount is escrowed I will deliver some of it and then just put in for full payment at the end. 

So, for instance if I was doing two chapters and two chapters were in escrow and the client asks me to please send over the first chapter as soon as I'm done, I'll send it in the message center and then put in for payment after the second one is done. I'd probably attach both chapters to the escrow release request for the record though.

anna_guryeva
Ace Contributor
Anna G Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
15 of 16

Thank you, Jennifer.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
16 of 16

Having just finished a job for a somewhat odd/ difficult client, this will be my new attitude:

I don't care how broke I am, if the initial contact makes me wary, I won't take the job.  Now my JSS will take a hit for a stupid little job.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS