Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legitimate job offer?

This widget could not be displayed.
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 13

I wouldn't have rejected it. I would have accepted and talked it out. Money in the bank without any selling is awesome! 

3 of 13

@Jennifer M wrote:

I wouldn't have rejected it. I would have accepted and talked it out. Money in the bank without any selling is awesome! 

It wasn't a million, I was afraid that this was a fake-email. Since I have found all these messages from Upwork, even from workrooms, even declined offers at email-fake I am really scary. I have already reported about this in another thread where the freelancer complained that her account had been hacked. In another situation I would have discussed everything. It seems that both accounts have been mixed as I can read the response from Upwork to him. Moreover, when clients fund the milestone so quickly before having discussed the work it can happen that they come along with additional work suddenly (my experience before).

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
4 of 13

@Jennifer M wrote:

Shouldn't the talking it out portion be done in the interview stage? If a contractor accepts a job offer, without knowing exactly what the requirements are and what the job consists of, and then finds out it's not for them, what happens? Does the contractor then close the contract? Do they ask the client to close the contract or does the contract just stay open? And wouldn't any of these situations affect the contractors JSS score?

lysis10
Community Guru
5 of 13

Nah, accept and talk it over. Worst case scenario it doesn't work out and you close the contract. These are usually people who already know what they want, saw your rate, and just want it done 1, 2, 3. It's great!

6 of 13

@Jennifer M wrote:

Nah, accept and talk it over. Worst case scenario it doesn't work out and you close the contract. These are usually people who already know what they want, saw your rate, and just want it done 1, 2, 3. It's great!

No, it was an unclear defined fixed price job below the amount of my hourly rate and the milestone for the work had already been funded. Uninteresting and too risky to accept this.

lysis10
Community Guru
7 of 13

Of course it's totally up to you with stuff like this. I've done three of these and don't overthink it. I just think "Oh, no selling, you already want me to do the work and escrow is funded? Weeeeeee sweet!" lol

They are small jobs that the client just wants done without the hassle of all the other stuff.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 13

I am getting all my invitations directed to my message system - grrrr. The same thing happened to me not so long ago. There is a thread on this that I now can't find. The milestone cannot be enforced and nothing happens unless you accept the job. IMHO it is up to the client and Upwork to sort out the financial arrangement if the client has jumped the gun and  if you don't accept the job.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Unfortunately, although you used to be able to  block people from sending further invitations, this no longer seems to be the case. I declined a job, blocked the client, and lo and behold, despite this, he jumps up in my message system a few days later, reiterating his invitation. I have not had any feedback from the mods on this particular complaint.

Edited to add: My apologies to Valeria, my question was addressed, and I have now answered it - in mitigation, I have evil deadlines at the moment. 😞

9 of 13

@Nichola L wrote:

I am getting all my invitations directed to my message system - grrrr. The same thing happened to me not so long ago. There is a thread on this that I now can't find. The milestone cannot be enforced and nothing happens unless you accept the job. IMHO it is up to the client and Upwork to sort out the financial arrangement if the client has jumped the gun and  if you don't accept the job.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Unfortunately, although you used to be able to  block people from sending further invitations, this no longer seems to be the case. I declined a job, blocked the client, and lo and behold, despite this, he jumps up in my message system a few days later, reiterating his invitation. I have not had any feedback from the mods on this particular complaint.

Oh, the first line of your second paragraph will be massively edited soon by UW Woman Wink I feel like some guests who have not been invited by me linger in my message system.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 13

Hi Margarete,

I am sorry you felt uncomfortable about the job offer. I would like to point out however, that you are able to discuss terms and rates with the client before accepting or declining the offer and making it to a contract. Sometimes it happens that clients are ready to skip the interview stage and send an offer with funded Escrow to a freelancer, but the freelancer still has an ability to negotiate and ask for different terms.

Also, I am not sure which messages between Upwork and client you are referring to. If you send me details in a private message I will e happy to check that for you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS