🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Legitimate second account for survey purp...
Page options
dadooda
Community Member

Legitimate second account for survey purposes

Hey community,

Recently I came up with an idea of a just-for-fun survey (consider it a "bet"), which requires me to register with Upwork and complete a number of low-end jobs (data entry etc.) in the coming weeks-months.

The problem is, however, that I've already got an established Upwork profile, which is turning 10 this year. Which, of course, I'd never clutter with $2/hr jobs.

Having explained this situation to a support person, I've got a negative response: "No, we still don't allow Freelancers to create multiple accounts here at Upwork".

I still want to proceed with my survey, but I've left no option but to act as another person.

What would you do if you were me?

Thank you.

P.S.: I know of "Specialized Profiles", this is not an option in this case.

9 REPLIES 9
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

You will most likely be permanently banned for a second account (especially since you have now gone public).  I wouldn't try it.

petra_r
Community Member

Alex F wrote:

Recently I came up with an idea of a just-for-fun survey (consider it a "bet"), which requires me to register with Upwork and complete a number of low-end jobs (data entry etc.) in the coming weeks-months.

(snip)

I still want to proceed with my survey, but I've left no option but to act as another person.

Proceed only if you fancy getting both profiles suspended.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Which, of course, I'd never clutter with $2/hr jobs."

The minimum hourly rate is $3/hour.

Alex:

In all honesty, I give you credit for approaching Upwork Customer Support to ask them about this. Your proposal was turned down.

I think it is clear that you already know that you won't be able to tackle this project the way you originally intended to. But if you really want to conduct a survey about low-cost jobs on Upwork, there ARE very allowable, very legitimate ways to do so.

The simplest thing would be to just compile a list of questions that you are interested in getting answered, and hire low-cost freelancers to answer those questions directly.

I have participated in multiple surveys on Upwork, both as a client (administering surveys) and as a freelancer (taking surveys).

You can obtain a LOT of data from a LOT of freelancers for a very small amount of money. Particularly given the fact that your target demographic is low-cost freelancers.

Noureldin Y wrote:

Maybe by paying 14.99$, you can use settings to keep your earnings confidential for that specific task.

1. There is no setting that allows anyone to set payment for one specific contract private from the freelancer's side.
  2. The OP wants to do several of those for some bizzare reason.
  3. Clients he applies to would still be able to see the rate anyway.
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alex,

I'd like to confirm that creating more than one freelancer account on Upwork and misrepresenting identity are serious violations of Upwork ToS that may result in an account hold.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
tlsanders
Community Member

Alex F wrote:

Having explained this situation to a support person, I've got a negative response: "No, we still don't allow Freelancers to create multiple accounts here at Upwork".

Of course you do. You have the option of following the rules instead of justifying what you want to do even though you agreed not to when you signed up.

I would do what I said I was going to do when I agreed to the Upwork terms, of course.

If I lacked ethics and wanted to go ahead and do it in violation of the TOS, what I would definitely NOT do is announce to Upwork's staff that I intended to do so.

data_divas
Community Member

Alex F wrote:

Hey community,

What is your purpose with this?  I do data entry and other Admin jobs, I charge way more than $2 per hour, I'm doing just fine, and raising my rates as I get more reviews here. I feel Admin jobs are often disparaged and looked down on here and it's a shame.

We all have our skills and we all provide value to our clients.

colettelewis
Community Member

Alex F wrote:

Hey community,

The problem is, however, that I've already got an established Upwork profile, which is turning 10 this year. Which, of course, I'd never clutter with $2/hr jobs.

Thank you.

P.S.: I know of "Specialized Profiles", this is not an option in this case.

This is on a par with offering jobs in order to see other freelancers' proposals and prices. In fact it is even worse, because you would be undercutting, undermining and robbing other freelancers of work that they desperately need.  Your "just for fun" would be the equivalent of pulling wings off flies. 

It is a project that  is particularly unpleasant and dishonest and I hope the moderator's "moderate" response of "may" actually means "will". 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members