Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lesson learned. Thanks Upwork!

sequeavictor
Ace Contributor
Victor S Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
1 of 24

Recently, I report to the support team about a situation where my client asked me to do a dishonest task. I refused that request and decided to inform the support team, I submit to them evidence of such a request, they told me they would study the case. Days later, I received a statement of support team where they congratulated me for having reported such activity and that they would take appropriate action against the client. The client decided to terminate the contract and he put me a negative rating. I thought this negative score would not affect my JJS, but it did. So I wonder, why do I report this situation anyway ?, if the client ruined my reputation, he remained active on the platform and I lost my 100%, now I have 86%.

Thanks Upwork !. Next time I prefer that the client explode me and I just keep quiet. I write this only as an experience for others. Actually, I don't care fix this situation.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 24

Sounds like a form letter you got from support--they always thank you for taking action, say that the community depends on it, etc. and then say they'll take whatever actions are appropriate (though they never specify what that might be).

What exactly did the client ask you do do?

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 24

Tiffany, judging by the client's review, it seems the client requested him to do some link bulding by way of guest blogging. Alas, I don't know enough about this sort of thing to judge if it was ethical or black hat SEO.

Victor, I hope Upwork will decide to exclude the client's feedback from your JSS.

ETA: found this Upwork article, which doesn't address the question per se, but might still be of interest:

https://www.upwork.com/hiring/for-clients/legal-and-ethical-aspect-of-blogging/

Any experienced bloggers care to comment on all this?

4 of 24

He asked me to lie to the potential client, about negotiating with something that he did not have. In addition, I should convince these future clients to close the deal, before they realized about that "scam".

In short, He asked me to tell prospective clients that had other websites when he was only a website to promote.

PS: Also, he put me a dirty review to try to ruin even more my reputation. Really, I don't care, I trust in God and my abilities.  Man Happy

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 24

Victor, there are smart and diplomatic ways to get out of a contract, and there are ways that are neither smart nor diplomatic. 

In future, choose the former.

sequeavictor
Ace Contributor
6 of 24

Miss petra, I informed my client formally that because of this request, I did not want to work more for him. The client responded with threats, he told me he would give me a bad score and that would leave a bad review in my profile. Which he did.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 24

I'm not privy to this case, but if a freelancer reports a suspicious behaviour to Upwork and if Upworks decides that the reporting was justified and that the client indeed violated the ToS, the client's feedback should be canceled.

Again, I only have one side of this specific story, so I'm painting a theoretical case.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
8 of 24

Rene, I totally agree!  As many of us know, there are numerous "should be's."

sequeavictor
Ace Contributor
9 of 24

Mr. Rene, totally agree with you, it is always good to hear the 2 parts of a story, in order to draw a conclusion about a situation. * Must be attentive to detail and tangible evidence !.*

afifield
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
10 of 24

I feel that if they asked you to do something and if it is against the terms of service on upworks that they should remove the bad feedback and take action against the client. I am not sure if it is the case here or not as there isnt enough detail aside from you saying what the client did was wrong.

If upworks did take action like you say though there had to be a reason if action was in fact taken unless it is just a boilerplate answer and they dont investigate until after you got the letter and found what the client did was ok. If it was a job you were led to believe was fine and it turned into something that is against the terms, upworks should remove it as if the job was never even started.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS