Upwork Support:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

That's my reward for reporting an unlawful act. Smiley LOL

Again, Thanks Upwork. 

afifield
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
12 of 24

Yeah and I definitely disagree with them if it is something that was unethical or illegal that was assigned to you without it being in the original posting. Upworks does have the right though to not remove the feedback and it actually states they are not obligated to do so in their terms, but I do feel that if they dont when someone violates the terms that it really isnt helping maintain the integrity of the marketplace as they say since clients or freelancers can basically blackmail much easier that way as well as the fact that this makes the feedback system much more false. It also allows such behavior to continue. I feel they should be obligated to remove such users and remove their false feedback if it is in fact a violation, and thats just my opinion but upworks can do as they please since it is there site. Perhaps they saw it as a grey area sort of issue and I am just saying that because I dont have 100% understanding of the issue. 

From the terms here: 

In order to protect the integrity of the feedback system and protect Users from abuse, Upwork reserves the right (but is under no obligation) to remove posted feedback or information that, in Upwork’s sole judgment, violates the Terms of Service or negatively affects our marketplace.  You acknowledge and agree that you will notify Upwork of any error or inaccurate statement in your feedback results, including the JSS, and that if you do not do so, Upwork may rely on the accuracy of such information.

sequeavictor
Ace Contributor
Victor S Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
13 of 24

What I want to say to my fellow workers is the following:

Upwork can not prevent a client will leave you a bad review or they can not remove a bad review even if the client is wrong. They (Upwork) hide behind "their terms". Ok, It's fine.

With evidence in hand (screenshots in my case), you can not win a battle against a client, if you "win" Upwork will tell you "hey, thanks for telling me that, continue with your life and if you're lucky the client will leave you a good review."

The client was so evil that the review he put on my profile was written as if the support system of Upwork had written it. To give more "weight" to his opinion. In short, the review is all a lie.

Actually, I do not care if upwork close my account or comment but I feel so helpless.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 24

The review that was left wasn't "evil" - you didn't want to do the job any longer because you considered it to be unethical, so next time you feel a need to report a client just do it after the contract is closed (OBVIOUSLY) not while it is still open.

You could have got out of that contract in a more elegant manner, then you would not have been left with that bad feedback.

sequeavictor
Ace Contributor
15 of 24

OMG Mis Petra, he threatened me that if I did not do what he was asking me, he was going to place a bad score. Then I wonder, where is my ethics? my conscience?. I'm going to sell myself for money ?. I decided at that moment to seek help from the support team. Explain to me which is the elegant way out of a contract or a client that threatens you if you do not do what he is asking. I talked to him before reaching that point. He knew that if I gave another excuse that I do not want to work more for him, he knew why.

I just told him I do not want to the do that request and the threat began. I felt like a slave.Smiley Sad

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
16 of 24

@Victor S wrote:

OMG Mis Petra, he threatened me that if I did not do what he was asking me, he was going to place a bad score.

This right here is the core of about half of the problems freelancers have on Upwork.

If your actions and choices are dictated by threats of bad feedback, this is not a workable business model for you.

That may sound harsh, but it's a fact. You can't run a successful business if you don't have the courage to simply act on your own values, beliefs, standards, priorities, etc. 

What you (and others) describe is a hostage situation--that's not freelancing.

sequeavictor
Ace Contributor
17 of 24

I do not regret the decision I take so from the beginning of this conversation, I said I do not seek to accommodate this situation, I just want to share my experience.

I know the world, this platform will run its course with or without me. It's a fact.

afifield
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
18 of 24

Tiffany is right. Best thing anyone can do is move on. It sucks but it happens. I think each freelancer on the planet has experienced challenges with clients that are difficult. The way you look at it moving forward is what counts and all you can do is learn from it. btw, I would stay away from jobs where clients say "this will be really simple!". They usually expect more than usual and are the difficult clients. I think after a while you will start to see the difficult clients if you pick out little things like that. 

sequeavictor
Ace Contributor
19 of 24

That's why this conversation is called "Lesson learned".Not only I understood how this platform works but the type of client that I can find on this platform. I have had wonderful experiences with other clients, this will not stop me from looking for new jobs.

hajvanho
Ace Contributor
Nikola R Member Since: Sep 13, 2017
20 of 24

I think that Upwork should start supporting the way of thinking that Rene described.

Violation of Upwork`s ToS = Individual that violated ToS [client/freelancer] has no right to leave the feedback for that particular project.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS