🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Let me grouse about this for a minute
Page options
alsirois
Community Member

Let me grouse about this for a minute

I have seen way too many posts like this:

"I'm new to this space and can only afford to ay $200," or

"As I said, l am new to this so, I will only be able to pay $150 for this project. 65,000 words."

Or similar. This is getting on my last nerve. Is it just me, or does this aggravate anyone else?

Al

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bundie702
Community Member

When one client tries something, others often jump on the bandwagon. Just about every ghostwriting job contains the words, "nothing shared with a previous client." It's enough to make you wonder if these are all the same person posting (they're not). The latest trend is telling you how much time they'll give you for completing the job. That will soon be included on 90% of ghostwriting postings. And what makes it worse is that if no one applies to work for that pay/under those conditions (or if no one is qualified), they will repost the job, so it appears over and over again.

As several people on the thread said, just ignore those postings. It's a minor annoyance to see so many of them, but as long as they aren't inviting you to the job, just shrug it off. They wouldn't dare tell the landlord of office space that they're just starting out and can only afford to pay $150 for rent, because they know said landlord will laugh in their face. But some of those jobs actually get applicants. No doubt the clients feel they might be able to get work done cheaply. The work will likely be subpar, but that's their problem, not yours. Consider excluding jobs from your feed that include "starting out" "getting started" or similar phrases...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
b8b80eb0
Community Member

Hi Allen,

The same happens with me, but I do not work with such clients.
They have much work with the lowest budget.
You are a senior and know it very well.

it's very irritating when clients put such budgets ....and talks.

6bfcdaf8
Community Member

The power of nature is variety. There will always be all kinds of everything. But forexample, a cat would smell 2 pieces of food and will eat which smells right. Won't spend the rest of the day thinking why the other piece didnt smell right.

I believe we should be open and inclusive when clients say they don't have the budget, for whatever reason. And then what i tell them is, either we can re-visit the requirements and see what compromises can be made or they can recruit  more affordable talent and i'll be ready to jump-in when/if they feel stuck.

prestonhunter
Community Member

This should not aggravate or bother anybody.

These clients are being honest.

Not everybody can afford everything.

YOU can't afford everything. Neither can other people.

Let's keep in mind that these are JOB POSTS.

Posted by clients who are identifying what type of work they want done, and how much they can pay.

These clients DID NOT SEND you an invite. Just skip those job posts. No different than if you saw a post that said applicants must speak Burmese (which you don't). Or applicants must have A8-Cyprex certification (which you don't). Similarly: You don't offer services at those particular rates.

tlsanders
Community Member

Doesn't bother me in the least. They've told me right up front they can't or won't pay my rate. Big time saver.

bundie702
Community Member

When one client tries something, others often jump on the bandwagon. Just about every ghostwriting job contains the words, "nothing shared with a previous client." It's enough to make you wonder if these are all the same person posting (they're not). The latest trend is telling you how much time they'll give you for completing the job. That will soon be included on 90% of ghostwriting postings. And what makes it worse is that if no one applies to work for that pay/under those conditions (or if no one is qualified), they will repost the job, so it appears over and over again.

As several people on the thread said, just ignore those postings. It's a minor annoyance to see so many of them, but as long as they aren't inviting you to the job, just shrug it off. They wouldn't dare tell the landlord of office space that they're just starting out and can only afford to pay $150 for rent, because they know said landlord will laugh in their face. But some of those jobs actually get applicants. No doubt the clients feel they might be able to get work done cheaply. The work will likely be subpar, but that's their problem, not yours. Consider excluding jobs from your feed that include "starting out" "getting started" or similar phrases...

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members