Did you mean: 

Level of expertise?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
11 of 28

Look at it this way. I do resume writing 

My rate is $44.44 an hour.

Joe Next Door has a rate of $5.55 an hour.

Who do you think is going to revise your resume to a professional level?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
12 of 28

Jean,

I have no doubt in my mind that you are good at what you do. But you have extensive work experience on Upwork so people are willing to pay higher rate because they are sure you will get things right.

However, if you put $44.44 per hour and you have no experience, and I see someone who charges $5.55 but has positive feedback I will go with the person that has more experience.

So in this case it’s not the price that will close the deal, it’s the experience.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
13 of 28

@Aleksandra K wrote:

Jean,

I have no doubt in my mind that you are good at what you do. But you have extensive work experience on Upwork so people are willing to pay higher rate because they are sure you will get things right.

However, if you put $44.44 per hour and you have no experience, and I see someone who charges $5.55 but has positive feedback I will go with the person that has more experience.

So in this case it’s not the price that will close the deal, it’s the experience.

Aleksandra,

I can't take your rationale as typical, or very suggestive.

When professional rates are in the neighborhood of $50 an hour—as they are, both up and down, for my field, editorial services—then I'd look at any provider asking $5/hour as a purveyor of crap.

As a buyer, I'd be interested in a providers' work history and references, but wouldn't have the slightest interest in how much work they had done on Upwork, which is merely a channel, perhaps one of several they use. Either they have a way of demonstrating and verifying they've got the chops, or not, but it's got nothing to do with Upwork history.

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
14 of 28

Hi Michael,

I can’t say I agree with you.  I would choose experience over rate. (We are talking about two extreme situations) 

Imagine this:

1. $50 rate, no experience on Upwork (I am emphasizing Upwork because we work on this platform)
  2. $10 rate, 100 jobs completed, 5 star rating, positive comments, high JS

Who will get the job?

I think that the rate matters only when you have experience. You should start with lower rate and increase it once you have enough work history to support it.

I have seen many freelancers who have a rate of $25 per hour but they work on projects that pay $5. So what does that say? Are they trying to trick somebody? Are they trying to do some work until something better comes along?

In my case the hourly rate doesn’t mean much as I work only on fixed price contracts. Even the one that says “hourly” is in fact a fixed price, as I am paid by the number of articles I deliver. However the client thought it would be good if my profile also contains “hours on Upwork” for future projects.   

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
15 of 28
Aleksandra,

I'm not sure how you can disagree with me about how I would choose a contractor. I don't recall disagreeing with you about how you would choose one.

Giving credence to ratings implies giving credibility to buyers.

Having been around the block on Elance for several years, I recognize the value of job histories and scores as indications of red flags, I can't for the life of me relate them to competence or quality of work—certainly not to the standards I would require.

Best,
Michael
Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 28

Michael,

I am not disagreeing with you on how to choose a contractor but I am disagreeing with the opinion that the rate weights more than the experience. But that is my opinion. Just because we have different opinions doesn’t mean that I am wrong and you are right, or vice versa. It’s completely up to you/or me to choose whoever we want according to whichever criteria we think is suitable.

Maybe after few years on Upwork I too, will see things differently, maybe not Smiley Very Happy who knows Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Arens M Member Since: Mar 15, 2015
17 of 28

@Aleksandra K wrote:

Thank you Nichola.

I just wanted to know whether my rate determines the level of expertise. I wasn’t trying to say he is not good, but I wanted to know what makes him an expert (or anyone else) Smiley Very Happy

Feedback, JS, Rate and Cover Letter.
Another important thing is "LUCK".

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
18 of 28

Jean, the number of jobs displayed is an oDesk bug/or feature. Yours says you have worked 128 jobs, but I can only see 51... 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
19 of 28

Thanks Kristina. Great another bug!! For those with only 10-20 jobs like Alexandria it looks bad and makes me question what's going on...when in reality I now find out nothing is amiss. That's just awful that this is happening.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
20 of 28

The way I have been seeing it, the rate doesn't matter that much. More than likely, the other person was hired over you because of two things: the cover letter and the sample(s) sent. Your "level" is going to show up more in these 2 rather than someone's rates to real deal clients. I left my rate as $10/hour. Literally I only put that there as a guess!! Smiley LOL English IS the only language I know. <<There's my level of expertise. Yet, I still find work and several of my clients are repeatedly sending me work.

One of my clients I'm currently working for (round 2) had initially messaged me about my very lengthy cover letter. Basically I was having some "fun" making that cover letter!! The job description was really cool stuff in my opinion. Much to the clients' surprise and joy, it was exactly what ALL he was looking for. So, +1 for me. In comparisons to the many others that applied for that job, it was between me and one other person for that job. Which is now turning long term and farily decent paying for me.

Another client that repeatedly gave me work was due to samples that were requested. At the time, I was thinking, even if I don't get this particular job, I found it very fun to apply and make the samples anyway!! Turned out to be one of the most fun ways I ever had to make some money!! I would have completed the work faster if I wasn't busy laughing like crazy for most of it!!

So yeah, reading people (or trying to) based on their job description can go pretty far too. The clients are definately not always looking at the rates. Jean DOES have a point in that some do look at the rates. But even they can be convinced sometimes.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS