🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Liability
Page options
gereldine_
Community Member

Liability

I was unable to meet a deadline with a client. The client is pretty upset (fair) but is also talking about getting a dispute with UW and to get lawyers involved to pay for their losses. 

I am curious if some of you have any idea about the liability for when I approved a project offer but didn't meet it. Am I liable for his losses? 

Please let me know!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I was unable to meet a deadline with a client. The client is pretty upset (fair) but is also talking about getting a dispute with UW and to get lawyers involved to pay for their losses."

Hmmm... Sounds like a bad client. And a bad person.

Gerda:

Upwork's software does not take into account "deadlines."

So in that sense, Upwork itself has no automatic "liability" related to deadlines.

Any problems stemming from deadlines are between a client and a freelancer. A client could (for example) choose to mark down a freelancer in the "deadlines" category when leaving feedback. A cilent could decide to not hire a freelancer again if the client feels that the freelancer's adherence to deadlines does not meet his needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I was unable to meet a deadline with a client. The client is pretty upset (fair) but is also talking about getting a dispute with UW and to get lawyers involved to pay for their losses."

Hmmm... Sounds like a bad client. And a bad person.

Gerda:

Upwork's software does not take into account "deadlines."

So in that sense, Upwork itself has no automatic "liability" related to deadlines.

Any problems stemming from deadlines are between a client and a freelancer. A client could (for example) choose to mark down a freelancer in the "deadlines" category when leaving feedback. A cilent could decide to not hire a freelancer again if the client feels that the freelancer's adherence to deadlines does not meet his needs.

Thank you, 

It is a lot more clear now. 

petra_r
Community Member

Gerda V wrote:

I was unable to meet a deadline with a client. The client is pretty upset (fair) but is also talking about getting a dispute with UW and to get lawyers involved to pay for their losses. 

I am curious if some of you have any idea about the liability for when I approved a project offer and but didn't meet it. Am I liable for his losses? 

There are two parts to this: An Upwork dispute will only take it as far as what's been paid to you under the contract.

If the client does try to get more money out of you, they have to do so outside of Upwork and and lawyers are expensive.

If the client is in a different country, them really taking you to court for breach of contract and subsequent losses is probably unlikely.

Thank you, 

I refunded all the money, just to get out of this situation. It seems like I don't have to much to worry about. 

grimesr
Community Member

I like your fixed price contract of $468.51. Good round numberSmiley Happy

Sorry? 😂
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members