Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limitations for Employers

Muhammad F Member Since: Dec 23, 2014
1 of 18

Hello Everyone,

I don't know if this topic was discussed earlier or not. But 

We freelancers have limitations like 20 jobs per week. But clients have no restrictions about hiring or job post. for job post we can't impose any restriction nor Odesk will due to business purposes. But there should be a limitation on minimum hire rate. Why???

We freelancers apply for a job & lose our 1 application but client do not hire anyone from the job & everyone who applied for that job has lost 1 out of 20 for no reason. 

I have seen clients with 40% hire rate? why????

what you guyz would say on this??

P.S i lost 8 app in this way in last week. Client hired none from that job.

Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
2 of 18

Yes it is a concern that job postings are left open for long months without hiring and clients often make duplicate job postings and do not even bother closing them. 

Until odesk comes up with a time limit for open job postings you can still get your application quota back by withdrawing your application from old job posts. I do that from time to time when I had reached my maximum application limit.

You can do this by going to your "Job Applications" tab. Then click on a link to some really old and deserted job post that you have applied to which shows no recent client activity. On the job Application page, click on "Withdraw this Application".

This will recycle your application back into your job quota. I am not sure about what is the time taken after withdrawl for application to appear again in quota. I think it was 24 hrs or one week. You can check odesk help articles for that.

3 of 18

Thank you for pointing it out. Although i am doing this practice but still why clients are around with this much low hire rate?

Why do we do double work? Why can't Odesk just set some standards for employers as well. 

I am sorry if my tone feels furious. But i am just way too tired of applying & than keep looking for weeks & than withdraw.

If Odesk do impose some restricitons like 80-85% hire rate than i think it would be good. Atleast reduced work for us.

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
4 of 18

Creating a quota for a hire rate means that clients (not employers, clients) will sometimes be forced to hire someone when they can't find anyone who is right for the job. That will mean unsatisfied clients and disputes. 

5 of 18

In that case they can atleast delete the job post or atleast close it so freelancers do not have a "WASTED" job application.

They have always got option of inviting freelancer to apply to his/her job. They can invite someone appropriate to apply & than hire.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
6 of 18

The hire rate isn't accurate. I have a hire rate of ~36% on my client account yet out of 20 or so jobs, I was only not able to fill 3. I think the hire rate, in typical oDesk nonsense fashion, is calculated based on number of interviews not number of jobs filled so it doesn't make sense to pay any attention to it as I think it's common practice to interview several freelancers to find the best fit.

7 of 18

Yeah, sorry i missed this point.

Calculations should be hired * 100 / required hiring

Required hiring means = # of freelancer he wanted. 

let say 

he posted 5 jobs & # of freelancer required were 1,1,3,1,1 = 7

He hired 3 of them so hire rate is 3*100/7 =42.9%

& than implement hire rate of 75%

Make it compulsory to hire within a dead line such as employer will be asked at the time of writing job post that in how many days he is going to hire. If Employer checked 5 days & there is no hire within those days employer will receive a notification to take action in next 24 hours. No action, job post deleted.

Problem is resolved.

Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
8 of 18

Agreeing with Marcia's points, I think it will be unfair for clients under many circumstances and will force many good clients to exit odesk meaning less jobs for us. 

Eg. Many clients have often very complicated tasks required (which are sometimes technologically impossible) that even experienced freelancers can not deliver upon easily when discussed in detail and lead to no hires.

On a more personal experience, I have a hiring rate of 50% because I have only posted 2 jobs and hired for one. Does that mean my account will be banned Smiley Sad

I guess best odesk can do is to close/hide the job postings more frequently in case client has not viewed the job post and has not responded to notifications from odesk. 

9 of 18

ofcourse not this early you will be banned. There should be no limit for first 10-20 job posts. 

This is just what we are discussing. Till yet odesk knows nothing about it. I just wanted to send a suggestion about this matter. But than i thought i should know other opinion as well.

Clients will leave but explore this forum & you will see freelancers are leaving.

Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
10 of 18

As a client I can tell you the hire rate is so far from accurate it is pathetic.

I won't get into all the ways it can is messed up but just believe me that it is.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS