cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limitations for Employers

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 18

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. As it was mentioned earlier on this thread, we cannot force clients to hire freelancers. Additionally, job postings auto-close unless the client extends the date. Clients receive a notification about it.

Also, as was advised by others here, you can always withdraw your application. Note that, your quota refreshes twice a day.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Muhammad F Member Since: Dec 23, 2014
12 of 18

Thank you for your answer Valeria. 

It cleared couple of things.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 18
Oh my goodness, people! To whoever thinks things should be the same for clients and contractors: Just stop!!

This isn't a basketball game wherein we demand that the basket be the same height for both teams. This is a forum through which people have the opportunity to send money to strangers for doing things they don't know how to do or don't have the time or inclination to do themselves.

We don't want to put a bunch of limitations on clients!
As a contractor, it is in my best interest to have fewer limitations on clients.
I make more money when there are fewer limitations on clients, because oDesk becomes a more attractive place to them and then there are more clients and more potential jobs.

If I had my way, every client would get a free hot biscuit and a back rub every time they post a job, and contractors would get nothing of the sort. And it would not be fair at all, and that would be awesome.

I don't want oDesk to be fair. I want oDesk to be profitable. There are those among us who have a political mindset or ideological perspective who want everything to be fair, without thinking about how that could be a detriment to contractors. You should think about the economics of the system, not just about perceived injustices.

The simple fact is that despite hundreds and maybe thousands of bad apples, the vast majority of clients are pretty great folks who have their acts together enough that they are in positions of responsibility that allow them to hire contractors.

I will demand that clients and contractors both be treated with respect and fairness. Period.

But should all things be "equal"? No, not unless clients and contractors pay each other equal amounts of money.

The truth is that what we as contractors provide in labor and expertise and work product is MORE VALUABLE than the money clients pay us.

So things will never be one hundred percent balanced. Nevertheless, we want what clients offer us (money, work experience, feedback, adventure, diversion, but mostly money), and we'll get more of what they offer if we make oDesk more attractive, not more combative or more "fair".
Community Guru
Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
14 of 18

"I don't want oDesk to be fair. I want oDesk to be profitable"

I believe in fairness. I really do. But honestly, I came here in search of profit... so, I must admit I agree with you. Clients and freelancers should not be treated the same way, simply because they're not the same. As a freelancer, I'm ok with some restrictions (the 25 weekly applications, for instance), since they don't affect my ability to work at all (usually, I manage to get a decent job after 5-10 applications max, and I'm not a genius or what...). But it makes no sense at all to apply those restrictions to clients as well: you cannot force a client to hire someone. If you do so, chances are that the client will not post any other job in the future. 

Probably it's a controversial topic, but I really think that oDesk should be appealing to clients, in first place. That's where money comes from. Satisfied clients = more jobs = more money = more clients (by word of mouth) = more freelancers hired = more freelancers paid = satisfied freelancers. And we all win.

So, yes, I prefer oDesk to be profitable, rather than fair.  

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
15 of 18

Well you guyz are write as well. When it comes to profitability, sometimes we have to compromise on other thing. So till yet i think i did not get enough profit that's why i was not compromising. LOL Smiley Tongue

& on the other end whole discussion was just about saving freelancer from getting his application waste. You do not want to hire. Simply close. 

No hard feelings plz

Community Guru
Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
16 of 18

As Valeria pointed out: "[...] job postings auto-close unless the client extends the date."

You shouldn't really worry too much about that, then... plus, every week your application quota is restored, so you can keep on applying. My advice is simple: choose wisely among  job postings. You'll surely find out that some jobs are worthwhile, some others are not. I know, it takes time to get used to, but in the end you'll be able to pick up the most appropriate ones. It also takes time to build a reputation here: clients tend to be a little "suspicious" towards new freelancers, as the latter have just a few (or no) feedbacks. It took me three months to get my very first job on oDesk. Then it took me another month to get the second one. Then it took me a couple of weeks for the third, and so on. As you slowly build a good feedback history, you'll notice that more clients will be interested in your services. Hopefully, you'll even find some long-term jobs, or clients who just keep calling you for several tasks... don't give up, work on your profile, keep on applying, put your best efforts in your jobs, and you won't have to worry about clients restricions at all.

Smiley Happy

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
17 of 18

This is one 'hot' thread with a lot of creative writing! lol....

It should have nothing to do with "equality" among clients and freelancers. In this case, it's simply about whether or not freelancers have a reasonable chance to win job bids on this platform.

Given the situations involving hidden applications, fewer invitations, and the ineffectiveness of job search features available for freelancers, there needs to be ways to minimize the growing number of frivolous job postings appearing on this platform.

How many hours are needed to find the best jobs and the best clients, that is, what the freelancer feels is the best match for them, when a lot of job postings result in no hires at all. It's akin to the risk–return tradeoff. How much time are you willing to loose searching for jobs with no results and no gain?

Edited 01/09/2015 RT/lwm

18 of 18
Thank you everyone for your opinion, comments & guidelines. That was the reason i posted my words here. It seems pretty clear i was wrong but now i am thinking in a different way. Thank you every one Smiley Happy
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS