🐈 Community
0b3364a8

Limiting, locking parts of a word doc. or pdf.

Hi

I am selling a file online and need to lock parts of the text and also, stop people from spreading my work around. Can it be done in word or pdf. Mayby no emailing the file and limiting printing?

I dont know what categorie to pick in job posting, thank for for the help. Have an awesome day.

All the best from Iceland

6 REPLIES 6
versailles

@Vilbert G wrote:

Hi

I am selling a file online and need to lock parts of the text and also, stop people from spreading my work around. Can it be done in word or pdf. Mayby no emailing the file and limiting printing?

I dont know what categorie to pick in job posting, thank for for the help. Have an awesome day.

All the best from Iceland

You can lock PDF files and even disable copy/paste. Better, you can convert a text PDF into image PDF, which means all the text will be converted into pixels, definitely preventing anyone to copy/paste it. But even there you have OCR software.

You can also add a watermark with the buyer's e-mail address on each PDF they're buying from you. May deter people from sharing it.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

You can also use Paint to copy, paste and alter an image PDF.

rekasesh

If your selling the files on your website you can use a widget which will require a password for downloading relevant file. You can have a small summary screenshot to give an idea of what's in the file. Only buyer or email subcribers will be able to downlaod and access the files after a sale.

https://www.tipsandtricks-hq.com/create-a-password-protected-download-file-6838

https://kinsta.com/blog/manage-file-downloads-wordpress/ 12 different plugin options

Locking PDFs isn't really a solution... There's several sites that unlock those files (for free).

mtngigi

Not sure it this applies to what you need, but you can add passwords to PDFs.

turbocro

As a graphic designer I can tell you there is no way to protect file if somebody is really determinated to open it..

1. if you lock it with password there are tool to unlock 

2. if you disable copy and paste there is way to do it anyway

3. if you disable print there is programs to print it regardless

4. if you turn it into image there are OCR programs which will read the image and create text file from it

So no, there is really no way to do this with 100% bullet proof method, the good thing is that 99% of people will not know these things above and will pay you for your file if it's something good.

Learning Paths