computerhxr

LinkedIn, Facebook, etc... Why do you need connections, group discussions, etc?

9 REPLIES 9
cameronjoseph

Your a "Membership Site Programmer" ? Read their TOS and Privacy statements.

Yes, I have read both of those site TOS and privacy, that is why i am not a member of either. Anything, and i do mean anything you put in your profile is for sale by Facebook. Numerous articles about what Fb does with what you have entered. Nothing is 'private'. You post a photo of someone/something, you no longer own it, but have assigned copyrights to Fb on it. LinkedIn is pretty much the same. Your contacts and any email they get a hold of from you, will receive spam emails about you joining. I have LinkedIn marked as spam. Read the articles about this also. The antispam laws in the USA read that any 'affiliate' will have access to your email to contact you for any reason. That is why you receive email from ones you don't have a clue as to how someone they got your email. As a membership programmer, it sure seems like you should have kept abreast of the different TOS and privacy of statements of other sites, especially the popular ones. Lot of USA law that affect you and the web site you code in not following those laws and Yes those US laws extend to overseas servers.

I added LinkedIn.
marciamalory

I wish someone from oDesk would give a clear explanation of how we can put social media links on our profiles, but we are not allowed to put links to personal websites with contact information on our profiles. I have been hired directly through my personal website, and I have been hired directly through social media, before I was part of oDesk. In that respect, there is no difference between a personal site and a social media site. How does this affect disintermediation rules? If I can link to a LinkedIn or Twitter account on my profile, which are ways for people to contact me directly, why can't I link to my personal website?

I am wondering this too. Also what is the definition of contact information re personal websites? I do not have contact information, but I do have a contact form for reply. 

Is the fact that I could be contacted through my website considered the same as giving contact  info?

Hi Jacqueline,

If your website contains a contact form or a way to message you, please do not include the link in your public profile. That would be considered a violation. You can add a link to your website or online portfolio to your proposals.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Jacqueline,

If your website contains a contact form or a way to message you, please do not include the link in your public profile. That would be considered a violation. You can add a link to your website or online portfolio to your proposals.

Thank you.

All legal websites in many countries at least have to contain information about the owner of the website (the freelancer). By the way, a lot of freelancers (and clients as well) on Upwork have links on their profiles to their personal or company website, they can easily be contacted directly via the website and keep on doing this because nobody forces them to stop it.

Hi Valeria,

there are tens of thousands of profiles that include some form of contact information.

It really doesn't matter whether you include links or contact information on your Profile as:

1. its not universally enforced

2. Anyone with a half decent freelance career by now has profiles up all over the place and is easily found by a google search by name and or location.

I think its ridiculous that you can't bolster your Upwork profile and your chances of getting hired here by adding your reputation from other sites.