cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking from other sites to oDesk profile

Community Guru
Natalia G Member Since: Jun 8, 2008
1 of 22

I have just read this oDesk Blog article. Is this true for all jobs or only design jobs? The article was something along the lines of "tips for a perfect designer profile". I have my website, LinkedIn and other social media accounts pointing to my oDesk profile, but I haven´t noticed anything different and I was just wondering (I am a translator)... Thanks

Link to oDesk profile

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
2 of 22
You can't link to other sites where your personal information or business website is located. That would be against the rules. If you have client's websites that display your work that would be acceptable.
Community Guru
3 of 22
I totally disagree with the LinkedIn remark she makes. Maybe a moderator could comment on this.
Community Guru
4 of 22

I am so confused now!

Thanks, hopefully someone can shed some light? As far as I know it´s against the rules. I said it wrong, I linked FROM LinkedIn and other sites to my oDesk profile, this is ok, isn´t it? My oDesk profile has no links in it, other than my portfolio items ans such.

Thanks

Community Guru
5 of 22

Jean, do you mean me or the article?

I misunderstood. I thought they were talking about linking FROM other social media to the oDesk profile. So, of course, even though I have done that, nothing has changed. It´s just extra info for employers and people I network with, in essence my oDesk profile is my portfolio... 

So now the question remains; Are we allowed to link to other social media (I.e Linked in, etc) in our oDesk profile, like the article seems to suggest?

Community Guru
6 of 22
I would say: LinkedIn to Odesk - OK Odesk to LinkedIn - Not OK
Community Guru
7 of 22

Ok, good, That´s what I thought. So this article is a little misleading.... 

We´ll see if anyone else knows...  Thanks Jean!

Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
8 of 22

Yet oDesk still has this neat section in your profile settings:

linked accounts screenshot

with all of the sites above being alternative contact channels, while the help section still has this: 

yay!

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
9 of 22

Bojana (Kudos), I was just taking the same snapshot (i.e., "Linked Accounts") only to return 52 seconds later to see that you beat me to the draw...lol....

oDesk LINKED ACCOUNTS FEATURE

Long ago I thought that the "Linked Accounts" feature allowed freelancers to port their oDesk profile TO their social media accounts, which would have been an easy way to advertise their oDesk freelancer presence. However, after further thought, I realized that the "Linked Accounts" feature was probably meant to port freelancers' social media accounts TO their oDesk account.

I initiated a support ticket asking oDesk exactly what information was taken from freelancers' social media accounts and how it was used on their oDesk accounts. Although the ticket was elevated to engineering, the replies were not very informative.

Now, I believe that the information taken from freelancers' social media accounts is ported to oDesk for internal use, and no one at oDesk seemed to know exactly how the information was used. For that reason, I disabled any linking I had setup.

Maybe the Linked Accounts feature is one of those features that oDesk initiated yet did not fully implement. oDesk Moderators / Managers, care to comment? Actually, I think I had asked this in the Community before, and it had not been answered (don't recall for sure).

Natalia, it is probably best to wait for oDesk Moderators / Managers to reply regarding this issue since they can contact the right persons directly in order to get the best information available. Kudos for bringing this issue back in front of the Community.

Marketing Freelancer Services -- Like any other Web presence marketing (freelancer presence marketing), basic on-site (i.e., freelancer profile) and off-site SEO and especially social media marketing (SMM) "engagement" does help. Of course, leaving the freelancer profile set to "public" is important as well.

LINKING TO AND FROM oDesk (oDesk MODERATOR HAS REPLIED)

Regarding linking 1) social media accounts (and websites) TO oDesk vs. linking 2) oDesk TO social media accounts (and websites) 

REVISED April 19, 2015 - LWM 1) Linking social media accounts and websites (websites owned or third-party sites) TO oDesk -- OK.

REVISED April 19, 2015 - LWM 2) Linking oDesk TO social media accounts and websites (websites owned or third-party sites) -- Nope! (contact information might be available).

DELETED erroneous / unneeded information from intial post April 19, 2015 -- LWM

Community Guru
10 of 22

It would be interesting to know the answer to this issue.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS