🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Liveaboard Sea Captain with no land-based add...
Page options
1c982652
Community Member

Liveaboard Sea Captain with no land-based address

Hi, I am a UK citizen, but I live aboard my ship in Cape Verde. I had an account here previously, and worked for many years as a writer, proofreader and editor. I am having difficulty creating an account due to not having an address. How can I overcome this?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Jake B wrote:

Haha, thanks Petra - yes, everything was fine until the virus, I was making money with my ship from tourists. Unfortunately there are no longer tourists. Which is why I thought to come back to working here. How do I get further support on this? I don't think my previous account exists, unless they have kept it archived somewhere. 

If it was on Upwork or oDesk it still exists. If it was on Elance it's gone.

Fingers crossed the tourists will soon be able to return. I was looking at Cape Verde at one point as a place to relocate to but went to Italy instead.

Let me flag your post so a mederator can get support to contact you. If your original profile could be found, that would make all the difference as you'd have history. Good luck to you!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

What address do you use for your bank, credit cards, taxes, insurance etc.?

I used my old address in the UK to create a bank account in Spain, and they didn;t ask further questions. I don't need to pay taxes unless I am in one location for longer than 6 months. I could get a tax number here in Cape Verde, and doing so doesn't require an address. 

My Spainish bank, Santader, was aware of the situation, but told me "any address wil do". The only insurance I have is for my ship, and that doesn;t require an address either. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Jake B wrote:

Hi, I am a UK citizen, but I live aboard my ship in Cape Verde. I had an account here previously, and worked for many years as a writer, proofreader and editor. I am having difficulty creating an account due to not having an address. How can I overcome this?

You need to use your old account, no matter your circumstances you can only have one, ever. 

Hi, it no longer exists. It was linked to my google account, and when I tried to log in using google I was told it no longer exists. Probably because it was 4 years since I used it. I used the same google account to create this profile.

Your old account exists.

Upwork does not delete accounts.

Even if there is a button that says "close account" or "delete account," if that is ussed, it actually just sets the status of an account to "closed."

If you have had an account before, you work with Upwork Customer Service to gain access to your original account.

It was awhile ago now, but I think I deactivated it myself, so I would stop recieving emails.

I could use a my girlfriend's address in Poland, I could even get a Polish phone number. But that doesn't change the fact that I don't live there.

Jake B wrote:

I could use a my girlfriend's address in Poland, I could even get a Polish phone number. But that doesn't change the fact that I don't live there.

Which means, according to upwork ToS, that you can't use it. 

Any suggestions? My current phone number is a Cape Verde one. But I can't use that as it is asking me for a UK phone number and it won't let me change my location. 

petra_r
Community Member

Jake B wrote:

Hi, I am a UK citizen, but I live aboard my ship in Cape Verde. 

I am deeply jealous 🙂

Work with Support to locate your old account and reope it if possible. 

1c982652
Community Member

Haha, thanks Petra - yes, everything was fine until the virus, I was making money with my ship from tourists. Unfortunately there are no longer tourists. Which is why I thought to come back to working here. How do I get further support on this? I don't think my previous account exists, unless they have kept it archived somewhere. 

Things are pretty tough now, my girlfriend and daughter had to return to live with her parents in Poland, and all we have to live on now is the money from her translation business, which is a third of whatit was before the virus. We need to find a soltuion. 

petra_r
Community Member

Jake B wrote:

If it was on Upwork or oDesk it still exists. If it was on Elance it's gone.

Fingers crossed the tourists will soon be able to return. I was looking at Cape Verde at one point as a place to relocate to but went to Italy instead.

Let me flag your post so a mederator can get support to contact you. If your original profile could be found, that would make all the difference as you'd have history. Good luck to you!

1c982652
Community Member

I joined when it was oDesk, I had moved to Germany to live with gf when it became UpWork. Thanks for you help, I will keep this page open awaiting gor further assistance. Cape Verde isn;t a bad place to live. But it is not as cheap as you might think - food is about the same price as EU, and accomodation on land is only a little cheaper, or so I have been told. Nice weather though, all year round. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jake,

I'd be happy to help. Leet's try to find your old account. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about it, email address related to that account would be preferable. I'll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

If you can get your hands on the unabridged version of Rafael Sabatini’s Captain Blood, it includes fascinating details about the captain's difficulties in doing a bit of freelance work on the side. Back then identity verification was not yet instituted. The biggest problem was maintaining a stable Internet connection.

Thanks Preston, always interested in new reading material. Internet is not a problem for me. My phone is my router and 8gb is $12 here. The identity problem is difficult, here and on other sites. I'd prefer to work here if I can though, especially if I can retrieve my old profile, as I don't want to have to start back down on $2/hour and work my way up again, after I spent 5 years or so building up my previous profile. Though any income at all will help at this point. Flights here will be starting again next month, but I doubt that even then my income will return to what it was due to the economic crisis. 

petra_r
Community Member

Any chance of a pic of your ship? 

I've nothing useful to contribute.

I'm just impressed that you look the part as well.

ezgif-3-1969fbb478.jpgLol, Thanks Jamie. The main reason I wore my Captain's hat was that I needed a photo without sunglasses, and had none, but I also needed a hair cut. 😉

Here's one of our ship too.  

petra_r
Community Member

Oh my gosh, that is GORGEOUS!

All the very best of luck to you!!!! I want to think that you'll weather this storm and you and your family can continue that lifestyle.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths