🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Local Bank Withdrawal Payment Not Received Fu...
Page options
btsaconsulting
Community Member

Local Bank Withdrawal Payment Not Received Funds Not Returned to Account

Hello,

I have not received withdrawal funds since January 1, 2020. The same issue was repeated on January 8. I have been on Upwork since 2017 and used to receive weekly transfers within 2 days. I reported the problem to Upwork support, they raised a ticket and since then, there has been complete silence. I contacted an agent again today via chat and she has raised another ticket to finally initiate a trace.

I am now getting concerned about a number of issues -

1. I was off Upwork between October and November to undergo surgery. I returned to work last month and January 1 was the first payment post returning. When I did not receive the funds, I checked my settings and found that my account type in the system was changed. I have reported this to support but have no response.

2. I corrected my bank details but even the January 8 transfer has not come through.

3. My local bank said the funds could have been rejected if account details were incorrect. But the funds have not returned to my Upwork account even after 2 weeks.

4. Do I risk losing my money if I cannot trace it and Upwork support is not responding/not able to resolve the issue. Has it happened to anyone else that they lost their funds? 

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Maya More 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Maya, 

I hope you have already recovered from last year's surgery. I have followed up with the team handling your case so that they can get back to you with more information about your concern. While I understand that this is very frustrating, please know that the team will continue to work with you through your support ticket, and will update you on the same ticket thread once they have more information about these transactions. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Maya, 

I hope you have already recovered from last year's surgery. I have followed up with the team handling your case so that they can get back to you with more information about your concern. While I understand that this is very frustrating, please know that the team will continue to work with you through your support ticket, and will update you on the same ticket thread once they have more information about these transactions. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi Avery, Thank you so much for your prompt response. I have now heard from support that they are waiting for updates from the payment processor - hope it is soon. For now, I have changed my payment settings to not receive weekly transfers till this is resolved. 

I understand things can go wrong with transactions but hopefully there is a fix soon. The timing is a little unfortunate, coming just as I returned back to work. I will keep you posted.

Regards,

Maya

Hi Avery and community,
This problem is far from solved for me. 17 days and counting but no sign of my funds. It is a few hundred dollars and I am amazed that the funds are not even returned to my account.

How long should it normally take because this is beyond the 5-8 business days etc. What are my options?
Has anyone ever lost their payment and what did they do?

Regards
Maya

Regards

Hi Maya,

I understand your frustration with this. I just checked your ticket and I can see that ou team is working on tracing your transaction. If you have any additional questions, feel free to post them directly on your ticket. Our team will assist you further as soon as possible, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi, As suggested I have followed up with support and there is no response. I contacted an agent today via chat and she had the same update, " Waiting to hear back from payment processor". I asked if there is a standard timeframe to hear from the payment processor and the response was - "I really would love to address this for you. however, we do not have an estimated time as of this time. My apologies. In a day or so, you’ll receive an email asking if I was able to solve your issue." and the agent left the chat.

So it appears that either the payment processor is not obliged to respond in certain timeframe or Upwork support is not obliged to follow-up with them or inform me in any way. This can go on ad infinitum. 

I am extremely worried that I have lost over three hundred dollars which is not a small amount. 

My lesson from this is that I am paying the price for choosing the cheaper $.99 local bank transfer trap. I have changed my settings to Paypal henceforth - but who knows if that will also work. 

- Maya More

Hi Maya, 

I want to note that the team is unable to post an update about this transaction since they are waiting on an update from our payment processor and they have no control as to when they will receive an update from them. I understand how this situation can be frustrating for you - not receiving your hard-earned money in your bank account is really upsetting. I request your understanding as the team is waiting for more information from our payment processor. 

On my end, I have requested the team to check for an update, and reach out to you today in case they have a little information they can share with you. I can assure you that once they hear back from our payment processor, they will update your ticket thread with more information. 

In the meantime, please refrain from creating new tickets about the same concern so that our teams can assist you more efficiently. 

~ Avery
Upwork

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I find this statement troubling. I don't believe it is acceptable for Upwork to contract with a service provider, especially one involving payments and money, without some sort of Service Level Agreement in place and being enforced. Saying that Upwork has no control is not acceptable. Upwork's signed contract with this provider needs to cover timing, processes, accountability, and consequences. Enterprises just don't operate this way.

I would like to know the name of the payment processor company that is providing this service for freelancers. This is especially relevant because for many freelancers, the time for receipt of payment has gone from a couple of hours to a couple of days or more, without warning. We were accustomed to a certain level of service, and then the levels changed without any communication provided to us.

I wonder if clients are allowed to delay and institute a waiting period when paying the service fees and payments they owe to Upwork. I think not.

I would like to raise this concern with the person or group managing this service for freelancers at Upwork, if you could kindly give me that information. Thank you.

Hi Patrice,

I understand your concern and realize that it's very important for freelancers to be able to access their earnings quickly and reliably. If there are any issues, Upwork team always communicates with the freelancer via their ticket and traces the payment. We use different payment processors depending on location and I won't be able to provide further details about what payment processor is used. It can still take up to four business days for a Direct to Local Bank transfer to arrive.

I'll also have one of our agents reach out to you directly to address any further questions you may have about your withdrawals.

~ Valeria
Upwork
86c0aa0c
Community Member

Hello,

I'm facing the same issue - no money on my local bank. Please contact me.

Hi Frank,

I checked your account and saw that you have withdrawn the funds direct to your local bank. If the funds are still not reflected in your account after 8 business days, please let us know so we can initiate a trace for you. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
86c0aa0c
Community Member

I already wait for 8 business days, please let me know next steps.

Hi Frank,

I checked your account, and I can see that the previous transaction was made last June 12, 2020. If after 8 business days (not including weekends) the funds are still not reflected in your account, please let us know, and we'll gladly assist you in initiating a trace. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
86c0aa0c
Community Member

Hello there,

I'm asking for the transaction of June 3.
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for following up, Frank.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with the trace. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
3alimoh
Community Member

False.

I contacted the customer support team and they replied only once. They told me to wait another 24hrs but there are no results.

I'm facing the same problem. Every time I withdraw my money I get a confirmation that you have transferred the money to my bank and only few hours to cash them. The last payment was on 23rd June and I know there is a problem from your side and it will take much time to be solved if it is possible!. Please tell me if the transaction is lost.

Hi Aly,

I'm sorry about the delay. I followed up with the team that's handling your case, and they will update you directly on your open ticket. Thank you for your patience.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi.

This is so alarming. I encountered the same problem. Normally I withdraw my funds every Wednesday via PayPal. I was so shocked when I checked my salary last November 10, 2021, it was sent to my bank account without my consent.

I've waited for 2-3 days but I still haven't received my money. I filed disputes and been receiving responses from Upwork support thru email saying "they are processing it". They asked for my personal information, identifications and billing statement to prove my identity. I provided all the requirements. Finally after 3weeks November 23rd, I've received an email stating that my ID has been verified.

I thought they will gonna give my money back then. However I received another email today Nov 26, 2021, 1:23 AM GMT+8 from Upwork support, "The bank sent us an update regarding the status of your withdrawal, unfortunately, they are still asking for another type of ID such as a passport or Driver's License."

How sad. They've verified my documents and all and now they're asking me for a driver's license or passport so I can get my hard earned money back. How can I get a driver's license, I don't even know how to drive. How I wish I can only process the passport in few days but here in our country it would take months or even a year to process it.

I am very disappointed. I thought I won't experience this here. I trusted Upwork with my funds but it seems like there is no way they will give my money back.

mannrehman15
Community Member

I am facing the same issue and still did not get my payment on my local bank account. Upwork payment processor did not respond to the Upwork team for the last 3 days and I just heard that waiting for the payment processor's response.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths