🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Location, Location, Location!
Page options
sidwhiting
Community Member

Location, Location, Location!

Many projects are posted which require freelancer to actually attend on site (eg. for a video or photo shoot).
I'd say at least 2 out of 3 such projects don't say where it is, and to find out I have to burn connect points and ask them.

If there is a place in the client's project creation process to specify the location, it clearly isn't working.

There needs to be SOMETHING in the process to prompt the client to provide this info. Such as a question right up front: "Does this project require freelancer to physically attend? If so, please say where in the title." or "Enter location in this box" etc.

This would save a heck of a lot of freelancer time, to say nothing of connect points.

Anyone agree?

5 REPLIES 5
JoanneP

Hi Sid,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I'll surely share this with the team so that they can review and consider adding this option. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
JoanneP

Hi Sid,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I'll surely share this with the team so that they can review and consider adding this option. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
mckmash
Community Member

I've never contributed here, but I came here specifically for this feedback and I'm so glad someone else has mentioned it, but surprised it hasn't been complained about so much more. 

I can't tell you how many listings just don't have any indication of location when it's clearly a crucial aspect of the gig because it's an in-person job. It is completely unfair to have to use up connects (which we pay for) just to find out if we qualify for a job, because the client wasn't thorough with their listing.

I was going to suggest almost the exact same solution, which honestly seems like a very simple thing to program into the job posting form. A required question where you say yes/no to whether the freelancer is required in a specific location with a subsequent box for location, again required if the previous answer was yes. 

Anyway, I see this has been responded to already but I just wanted to double down so that it hopefully seems a little more important. I'm sure this bothers more people who simply haven't gotten on here to talk about it. 

tlbp
Community Member

Ashton M wrote:

I've never contributed here, but I came here specifically for this feedback and I'm so glad someone else has mentioned it, but surprised it hasn't been complained about so much more. 

I can't tell you how many listings just don't have any indication of location when it's clearly a crucial aspect of the gig because it's an in-person job. It is completely unfair to have to use up connects (which we pay for) just to find out if we qualify for a job, because the client wasn't thorough with their listing.

I was going to suggest almost the exact same solution, which honestly seems like a very simple thing to program into the job posting form. A required question where you say yes/no to whether the freelancer is required in a specific location with a subsequent box for location, again required if the previous answer was yes. 

Anyway, I see this has been responded to already but I just wanted to double down so that it hopefully seems a little more important. I'm sure this bothers more people who simply haven't gotten on here to talk about it. 

You don't have to use connects. You can view the job post, see that the client provided inadequate information and pass on applying. So to claim "unfairness" is a bit of a stretch. If you don't think it is a fair use of your time or money, don't do it. 

I'd love it if every content request included the topic or industry so I don't have to waste connects to find out if it's something I want to write about. But, not every client thinks to include this information. 

Trying to get every client to adequately describe their job is a nearly impossible task.  Upwork provides many instructions to clients--clients don't pay attention. Plus, the more questions they are asked during the gig creation process, the more likely they are to ignore them or abandon the process. 

Clients who fail to make adequate postings must live with the consequences of receiving fewer applicants. If a gig looks truly promising then it is probably worth spending $0.15 to $0.90 to find out if it is located nearby (assuming the client's location indicates that is a possibility). 

Let's be really honest about what we are seeing.

If a client posts a job for an on-site photographer... and does not specify the location on a global remote-work "job board" that doesn't specify locations...

That is simple negligent on the client's part.

As a client, a huge part of my success lies in the quality of my job posts.

I understand the frustration that posters have expressed in this thread. But ultimately, Upwork isn't Craigslist. It isn't a location-based platform. It is a remote work platform. I don't know that the "require client to specify location" request is going to be implemented any time soon.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members