🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Location Privacy
Page options
Community Member

Location Privacy

Hello! How do I keep the name of my town from appearing publicly on my profile? I'm comfortable publishing a less specific location, and I'm happy to share my address with clients with whom I have a contract, but including the exact name of my town on a public profile is a little unsettling. It feels unnecessarily invasive. 

From what I gather, it might not be possible to change this. If that's really and truly the case--does anyone know why? It's counterintuitive that a platform as well-established as Upwork wouldn't follow very basic best practices when it comes to protecting the privacy of its freelancers. 

2 REPLIES 2
PradeepH

Hi Blake,

Thank you for your message. I understand your point. Unfortunately, there is no way to disable the city name on your Upwork profile. However, know that the city name is simply a visual representation of your location and does not reflect your exact address registered on Upwork. We did this to help clients quickly scan and process all the information for the posted job.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "It's counterintuitive that a platform as well-established as Upwork wouldn't follow very basic best practices when it comes to protecting the privacy of its freelancers."

Upwork's purpose privacy.

Upwork is a worldwide billboard that freelancers use to make their profiles and services available to as many clients as possible.

When freelancers post profiles on Upwork, their goal is the opposite of privacy.

If it makes you feel any better: My information is already online, as is yours, with or without Upwork.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members