cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Upwork

Highlighted
Mark T R Member Since: Dec 19, 2018
1 of 112

I've never changed my location from being US based, but suddenly I'm being told clients are notified I don't meet their US only qualification. It's been about 1-1.5 years with no problems. I went in and "updated" my address which was already accurate in case saving it again would help, but no luck there. Any ideas on how I can re-confirm I am in the US?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Signe J Member Since: Jan 29, 2016
2 of 112

I just clicked on an appealing job in the "US Only" feed. When I went to submit my proposal, however, I got the "You do not meet all of the preferred qualifications"  warning because the platform thinks I live outside of the US.  This is odd because I definitely live in the United States, and I always have. Thinking that my settings must have somehow been changed or cleared, I navigated over to my profile. However, everything is just fine there -- my location is still correctly listed as Sheboygan, Wisconsin. So...what's going on? Why does Upwork think that I live elsewhere?  (And no, I don't have a VPN.)

With the recent emphasis on US-only jobs, I am concerned that this error will impact my odds of getting hired. How can I fix it?

Untitled.png

Highlighted
Mark T R Member Since: Dec 19, 2018
3 of 112

Just finished posting this exact same problem. Also US based (Ohio) and haven't ever changed my location. So you're not alone - but I unfortunately don't know how to fix it either. If I hear any good suggestions I'll repost them for you here.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Signe J Member Since: Jan 29, 2016
4 of 112

It looks like our threads have been combined, so that's helpful, at least -- we only have to monitor one conversation...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
5 of 112

I just tested it, and I'm not having the same problem. Guess it's sporadic. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
6 of 112

Hi Signe and Mark,

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused to you. This is a known issue and our engineers are looking into it. I will go ahead and follow up your concern with our team so that they can get back to you once they have more information. Thank you for your patience. 

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
7 of 112

important question is - is the same error present on the client's side? because  if that's the case, then some freelancers   might not be considered  because of the location issue...

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 112

Hi Sanja,

I checked and confirmed with our engineers that these errors don't show on the client's side.

Thanks.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Florence U Member Since: Dec 3, 2018
9 of 112

Hi,

Recently, I have been applying to jobs that say "Only freelancers located in the U.S. may apply." and I have been receiving the below message:

You do not meet all the client's preferred qualifications

You may still submit a proposal, but the client will see that the proposal does not meet the following criteria:

However I am in the US and the location on my profile shows that I am in the US. What can I do to avoid this? Did someone tamper with my profile?

Thanks,

Florence

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
10 of 112

There was another thread on this same topic a few days ago. This seems to be a known but sporadic problem. You may want to search that thread out, but I'd also contact Customer Support immediately as clearly this is broken and could cause quite a bit of harm if you are possibly also filtered out of client searches (don't know if that is happening). 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS