🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Location
Page options
9854d309
Community Member

Hey. I am a citizen of Nigeria but i am studying in Egypt and will stay in Egypt mainly. I do not have a work permit in Egypt only a temporary residence and i cannot work with it. Can i set my location to Nigeria without any issues? Or will i not be able to use upwork at all?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Fadeelah, as I mentioned in my original reply, it would be best for you to consult a local legal advisor or government website, to know what you'll need to be able to work while in the country.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LuiggiR

Hi Fadeelah,

While you do not need to update your location if you're just traveling for a short period of time, if you're moving to a different country, like in your case, you'll need to update your address as it should be your real, permanent address. This is for tax purposes. You can do this by going to Settings > Contact Info and updating your address in the location section. 

In addition, please make sure you have an appropriate visa type or permit to work in the country you're currently in. Laws vary greatly from country to country, so we always advise consulting with a legal advisor or government website on your current country's tax laws.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
9854d309
Community Member

Thank you. But i will not have a permanent address in Egypt but i have one in Nigeria and i also will not be able to get a work permit for Egypt. Can i set my address as my Nigerian one and use my nigerian bank account or will the difference in my location cause issues? 

Hi Fadeelah,

I understand you're not permanently moving to Egypt, but since you mentioned you're currently studying there, I'm assuming that you'll be in Egypt for a considerable amount of time. That said, it would be best for you to update your location to Egypt, as your account may be flagged for location inconsistencies. If that happens, the team will notify you and let you know the next steps.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
9854d309
Community Member

Thank you. But if i put an egypt address without having a work permit wont that cause legal issues? Or should i put my nigerian address under tax residence and then an egyptian address on my profile? Or is there no way around this for me? Thank you very much

Fadeelah, as I mentioned in my original reply, it would be best for you to consult a local legal advisor or government website, to know what you'll need to be able to work while in the country.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members